Blue Screen Of Death...Vista Edition

1tallbassguy

• Members

I tried to open some photos that a co-worker sent me.

There was a message saying that the files were corrupted, and did not open.

I tried again on one of them, and it opened using the Window picture viewer, but it looked horrible.

It was a mess of colors and stuff.

Then the blue screen of death came.

:rolleyes::confused:

This is a new laptop, less than 3 weeks old, and I cannot figure out what the problem is.

How can I un-install part of the operatring sytem.

Or, maybe this is a registry problem....:confused:

I tried changing default photo viewer, and others did okay.

But I got the blue screen again.

Man I am having no luck with electronic stuff these days.:cry:

Any ideas on how to fix the problem?

• Members

I tried to open some photos that a co-worker sent me.

There was a message saying that the files were corrupted, and did not open.

I tried again on one of them, and it opened using the Window picture viewer, but it looked horrible.

It was a mess of colors and stuff.

Then the blue screen of death came.

:rolleyes::confused:

This is a new laptop, less than 3 weeks old, and I cannot figure out what the problem is.

How can I un-install part of the operatring sytem.

Or, maybe this is a registry problem....
:confused:

I tried changing default photo viewer, and others did okay.

But I got the blue screen again.

Man I am having no luck with electronic stuff these days.
:cry:

Any ideas on how to fix the problem?

maybe they are , bad CD burn maybe , don't know really , can you view regular jpegs and gifs and whatnot ?

• Members

The corruption is apparently with the Windows Picture Viewer.

I can open with Windows Photo Gallery, and it seems to be fine.

How do I change the default viewer?

right click - 'open with' then choose what you want to use.

i'm not familiar with vista and hope to never be, but thats how you do it in XP:)

• Members

The corruption is apparently with the Windows Picture Viewer.

I can open with Windows Photo Gallery, and it seems to be fine.

How do I change the default viewer?

right click on a picture, choose open with and then choose program. You can then choose what you want to be your default program and check "always open with this program" or something like that... at least that's how it works in XP anyway.

LOL guy above me beat me to it :D

• Members

I'll wait at least until SP1 to touch Vista. I have a hard time leaving XP Pro, which is a really stable OS. Anyone who says otherwise needs to quit playing with their Bonsai Buddy...
;)

Remember how the naysayers said "stay with Win2k cuz XP sux0rz"? :D

Properly configured and maintained computers don't really have problems. The XP box sitting here at my feet (poor bastard's been fired from desktop duties and is now a lowly print server) hasn't had one bluescreen in six years.

I blew it up a couple times back when XP was in beta and I was testing stuff for Microsoft Games but I'm not doing that gig any more.

• Members

I'm on vista and perfectly happy with it. Same with XP Pro before it. Freakin mac fan boys.

Did you get your default program stuff all setup? If right clicking and doing the "always open with ___" bit doesn't work, do this:

Control panel (classic view) -> default programs -> associate a file type/protocol

Change em and have at it.

• Members

Oh and, you shouldn't be BSOD'ing so soon.

Have you done all of the updates? If so, I would recommend a reinstall or at least a repair... Windows can crap itself over time, but less than a month? No ways.

• Members

Purely working on instinct here, but...

If a file is corrupt, it is going to cause errors when something tries to open it. Have your co-worker resend the files and see if the problem persists.

Or spend a {censored}-ton of money and get a Mac, which will well and truly solve the root problem here. :rolleyes:

• CMS Author

Remember how the naysayers said "stay with Win2k cuz XP sux0rz"?
:D

Properly configured and maintained computers don't really have problems. The XP box sitting here at my feet (poor bastard's been fired from desktop duties and is now a lowly print server)
hasn't had one bluescreen in six years.

I blew it up a couple times back when XP was in beta and I was testing stuff for Microsoft Games but I'm not doing that gig any more.

+1

I've had office machines left on *forever*, never rebooted unless the power failed....no blue screens, no problems. These were W2K, and XP Pro, and one had NT 4.0 on it with no trouble for 8 years. It's probably still running fine (I don't work there any more). Those that could had automatic updates applied, the older machines were updated when I remembered.

But let's not talk about my Win ME machine:rolleyes:

• Members

Laptops are a special kind of bitch because all the preloaded bull{censored} on them causes lots of problems. Once you disable a lot of the included {censored} (like norton antivirus, worst {censored} ever conceived) and get your own software on it, it'll be smooth. This laptop gave me all kinds of troubles due to retarded pre-installed mumbo-jumbo, but once I uninstalled most of it and got some things changed around, it hasn't given me one problem since.

Well... except for the fact that it overheats and shuts off without warning when I'm running photoshop, but that isn't really an issue with windows.

EDIT: ...did someone just mention WinME?

Archived