Avatar vs Dr. Bass - which cabs are better?

JeffBass

• Members

So Avatars are not very durable?

Hmmm... somewhere, I heard different.

Didn't say that, I just said that Dr. Bass blew them away in construction and that I thought that Avatar's cabs are mass produced somewhere else. They've held up fine so far and I'm not all that worried about breaking them.

• Members

So Avatars are not very durable?

Hmmm... somewhere, I heard different.

Not at all, they're quite durable. But I believe the Dr Bass cab covering at the very least, and perhaps construction as well, give them a substantial durability advantage.

On my Dr Bass cab, the truck line covering on the birch ply core turned out to be quite a bit tougher than the corner protectors meant to protect it. I dropped the cab on an edge getting it out of the shipping box - the unprotected edge took at least as much of the hit as the corner protector did, the corner protector shattered, but the unprotected edge was utterly unscathed. Tough stuff.

• Members

Didn't say that, I just said that Dr. Bass blew them away in construction and that I thought that Avatar's cabs are mass produced somewhere else. They've held up fine so far and I'm not all that worried about breaking them.

Ah... OK... my bad.

• Members

What kind of music do you play Emprov? Did you own the RX or BL model Dr. Bass? Is the "hi fi" sound you describe more suited for say, jazz and pop while the "traditional" sound of the Avatar more suited for rock and blues? Can you crank them both up loud or is one better at loud volume levels?

I'm not really into the whole, bass/rig X for X style of music. I dial in my tone and rock in whatever style the gig calls for. I'll do slight adjustments to tone on my bass via tone knobs and fingers but that's about it. And I usually play funk and blues. As far as cranking them up, the Avatar will get loud and the Dr. Bass will make your face peal off -- they have a lot more punch and clarity. Not to say that my Avatars aren't detailed but it's just unfair to compare them to Dr. Bass if you're looking for detail. Oh, and when I say hi-fy, I'm referring to clarity and detail. One player who played through my old Dr. Bass's called them darn near unforgiving -- you hear every single note. BTW, my old rig was a custom job that Marc did for me. It was a 1260, (12", 6", compression horn), and a 1080, (10", 8", compression horn) put in MDF, (rx) boxes. i.e. BL drivers in an RX box. I also had him use a different 12" driver. The rig sounded amazing, I'm still sorry that I sold it.

• Members

If you were to compare every element of Dr. Bass to Avatar, Dr. Bass would win. I've not seen the duratex covering on an Avatar yet, but I would think Dr. Bass would be a bit better as they have been doing it longer. The Dr. Bass is a good cab--don't get me wrong. They build a high quality product. Considering all things (customer service included), the Avatars just worked better for me. Dave from Avatar actually called me directly about my 2X12 to ensure they my order correct! Marc NEVER called me--never returned voice messages. The notice to my ears was not that overly different--and the Avatar was noticeably louder.

Right now I'm building a cab with a 1X12 and a 1X8 since nobody seems to make that. I need something for low-mid volume playing with my 800RB.

• Members

If you were to compare every element of Dr. Bass to Avatar, Dr. Bass would win. I've not seen the duratex covering on an Avatar yet, but I would think Dr. Bass would be a bit better as they have been doing it longer. The Dr. Bass is a good cab--don't get me wrong. They build a high quality product. Considering all things (customer service included), the Avatars just worked better for me. Dave from Avatar actually called me directly about my 2X12 to ensure they my order correct! Marc NEVER called me--never returned voice messages. The notice to my ears was not that overly different--and the Avatar was noticeably louder.

Right now I'm building a cab with a 1X12 and a 1X8 since nobody seems to make that. I need something for low-mid volume playing with my 800RB.

Have you checked out LDS(Low Down Sound)?

• Members

FWIW- My Dr. Bass BL112 took about a month to get here.

Marc was at the beginning of a production run.

It sounds great and is built better than any cab I have ever owned.

He also answered my email within 24 hours. Not bad. That's quite a compliment there (about the quality). Since I'm looking at a great Markbass head I'm thinking that the better cabs are worth the wait...

Back and forth, back and forth...

• Members

He also answered my email within 24 hours. Not bad. That's quite a compliment there (about the quality). Since I'm looking at a great Markbass head I'm thinking that the better cabs are worth the wait...

Back and forth, back and forth...

Let me ask you this: exactly what are you looking for in a bass cab? What kind of tone are you hoping to achieve?

• Members

Mainly I'm a rock player but I like the though of having a versatile cab because you never know, I might end up playing Steely Dan in some band and I want it to sound great. The way I look at it is you can't beat quality materials/speakers so these BL's from Dr. Bass sound like great cabs. I've been emailing back-forth with Marc and he's been answering all my questions quickly. Dave from Avatar has also been very quick to respond so props to him too. I'm not in a hurry so waiting a month is not a problem, especially for great cabs (at a very good price). I'll make my decision right after I get the cash for my current rig. Sounds like it's a question of wanting a good cab at a great price or a great cab at a good price. Can't go wrong with either. Hey Chubrocker, Dr. Bass has a 12", 3-way cab with a 6" mid-range speaker. Bet that would sound good with your fretless + 800rb.

• Members

Hey Chubrocker, Dr. Bass has a 12", 3-way cab with a 6" mid-range speaker. Bet that would sound good with your fretless + 800rb.

Too bad you aren't closer to me, JeffBass... I'd let you come play my fretless through my RX 2x10 powered by a GK 800 RB ;)

Archived