Ugh

B-Bottom

• Members

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/07/14/wbush114.xml

Bush like Hitler, says first Muslim in Congress

By Toby Harnden in Washington

Last Updated: 3:32pm BST 16/07/2007

Keith Ellison, a convert to Islam, has cultivated a moderate image since being elected last November

America's first Muslim congressman has provoked outrage by apparently comparing President George W Bush to Adolf Hitler and hinting that he might have been responsible for the September 11 attacks.

Addressing a gathering of atheists in his home state of Minnesota, Keith Ellison, a Democrat, compared the 9/11 atrocities to the destruction of the Reichstag, the German parliament, in 1933. This was probably burned down by the Nazis in order to justify Hitler's later seizure of emergency powers.

"It's almost like the Reichstag fire, kind of reminds me of that," Mr Ellison said. "After the Reichstag was burned, they blamed the Communists for it, and it put the leader [Hitler] of that country in a position where he could basically have authority to do whatever he wanted."

To applause from his audience of 300 members of Atheists for Human Rights, Mr Ellison said he would not accuse the Bush administration of planning 9/11 because "you know, that's how they put you in the nut-ball box - dismiss you".

Vice-President Dick Cheney's stance of refusing to answer some questions from Congress was "the very definition of totalitarianism, authoritarianism and dictatorship", he added.

Mr Ellison also raised eyebrows by telling his audience: "You'll always find this Muslim standing up for your right to be atheists all you want."

A convert to Islam who was previously linked to the extremist Nation of Islam, Mr Ellison, 42, has cultivated a moderate image since being elected last November, concentrating on issues such as health and education.

He is an outspoken critic of the war in Iraq. But he angered his own anti-war supporters by voting for a budget bill that aims to end the war over the next 18 months. His followers want an immediate withdrawal of US troops from Iraq.

After his speech was reported, Mr Ellison said he accepted that Osama bin Laden was responsible for 9/11. But his demagogic comments threaten to plunge him in controversy.

Mark Drake, of the Republican party in Minnesota, said: "To compare the democratically elected leader of the United States of America to Hitler is an absolute moral outrage which trivialises the horrors of Nazi Germany."

• Members

of that country in a position where he could basically have authority to do whatever he wanted."

To applause from his audience of 300 members of Atheists for Human Rights, Mr Ellison said he would not accuse the Bush administration of planning 9/11 because "you know, that's how they put you in the nut-ball box - dismiss you".

Vice-President Dick Cheney's stance of refusing to answer some questions from Congress was "the very definition of totalitarianism, authoritarianism and dictatorship", he added.

Mr Ellison also raised eyebrows by telling his audience: "You'll always find this Muslim standing up for your right to be atheists all you want."

A convert to Islam who was previously linked to the extremist Nation of Islam, Mr Ellison, 42, has cultivated a moderate image since being elected last November, concentrating on issues such as health and education.

He is an outspoken critic of the war in Iraq. But he angered his own anti-war supporters by voting for a budget bill that aims to end the war over the next 18 months. His followers want an immediate withdrawal of US troops from Iraq.

After his speech was reported, Mr Ellison said he accepted that Osama bin Laden was responsible for 9/11. But his demagogic comments threaten to plunge him in controversy.

Mark Drake, of the Republican party in Minnesota, said: "To compare the democratically elected leader of the United States of America to Hitler is an absolute moral outrage which trivialises the horrors of Nazi Germany."

Hitler was democratically elected. Drake needs to get off his high horse.

That said, I agree with everything Ellison said except the actual Hitler comparisons. He should've been smart enough to avoid invoking Godwin's Law - there's plenty about Bush to criticize without resorting to that bull{censored}.

• Members

Hitler was democratically elected. Drake needs to get off his high horse.

That said, I agree with everything Ellison said except the actual Hitler comparisons. He should've been smart enough to avoid invoking Godwin's Law - there's plenty about Bush to criticize without resorting to that bull{censored}.

Nice use of the Godwin's law :thu:

• Members

There's always going to be a group of people that get on their knees and let people shoot these Evil Empire conspiracies into the backs of their throats, so I figure he's just another in a long line of people pandering to that crowd. What I can't understand is how people still gobble up the same stale loads after all these years.

C7

• Moderators
What I can't understand is how people still gobble up the same stale loads after all these years.C7

Most people want their ego stroked, so they only hang out with people who agree with their own ideas. . . .even in the face of facts that are contradictory.

• Members

Hitler was democratically elected.

Actually no, dictators aren't elected. Hitler and the Nazi party lost the 1932 election to Hindenburg and the resulting run-off election as well, but the Nazi party got such a strong showing that President Hindenburg was forced to appoint Hitler to the position of chancellor. With the death of President Hindenburg on August 2, 1934, Hitler became the Head of State. He issued a new law combining the offices of Chancellor and president, and pronounced himself Reichsf

• Members
Actually no, dictators aren't elected. Hitler and the Nazi party lost the 1932 election to Hindenburg and the resulting run-off election as well, but the Nazi party got such a strong showing that President Hindenburg was forced to appoint Hitler to the position of chancellor. With the death of President Hindenburg on August 2, 1934, Hitler became the Head of State. He issued a new law combining the offices of Chancellor and president, and pronounced himself Reichsf

• Members

You mean the ones that Bush spews over and over ?
:confused:

No, I mean the ones that conspiracy nuts spew over and over, that have been debunked over and over or have never been adequately proven, about everything ranging from global warming to Bush's involvement with 9/11. People pack auditoriums to hear Al Gore tell lies and half-truths, and they accept them as indisputable gospel. That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about.

C7

• Members

As a person who lost a ton of family to Hitler's regime I find any comparisons to him offensive. The only person who even came close over the last fifty years was Milosavic(sp?) in Bosnia, or maybe Pol Pot in Cambodia, and even they are just drops in the bucket compared to what Hitler did. Bush and Cheney may be totalitarian and evil, but they're no Hitler. Any deaths for reasons of politics and land-grabbing are an atrocity, but so far no one else is anywhere near being in Hitler's league. We're talking thousands of murders vs. millions, and while every one of those lives lost is a tragedy, the sheer numbers tell us that there is no real comparison. It's just fear-mongering and hate-enticing for political gain, and as someone who takes Hitler and Nazism very seriously, I find it patently offensive and diminishing to the evil that the man carried out. And as Mudbass pointed out, Hitler was never elected, whereas Bush won the popular vote in America... twice. So if Bush is Hitler, does that mean all Americans are Nazis? I don't think so...

• Members

The second someone compares Bush to Hitler, I stop listening to anything they say. It basically says to me "I let my hatred shade my thinking".

I've grown much less fond of Bush because of his domestic policies, but I still can't accept 90% of the bull{censored} I hear about him.

C7

• Members

The second someone compares Bush to Hitler, I stop listening to anything they say. It basically says to me "I let my hatred shade my thinking".

I've grown much less fond of Bush because of his domestic policies, but I still can't accept 90% of the bull{censored} I hear about him.

C7

That's fair, because I can't accept 100% of the bull{censored} I hear from him.

Archived