Off Topic . . . on the Bass Forum . . . no way

collinwho

• Members

So, as you may remember, I'm looking for a cheap car right now. I've found a 92 Honda Civic, and it is a manual which I prefer, but it has 280,000 miles on it. Now, I know that these engines were built to run and it could last a long time, but I'm concerned about the mileage. Everything else on the car is in very good shape. If it were at 200,000 I wouldn't even hesitate. At the same time, I only need this car to get me through the winter, if it dies next summer, I really could care less. So, would you be comfortable buying this car in this situation?

Also, it is on the low end of what I was looking to spend, so if something minor goes wrong right away, it won't be a problem to fix it.

• Members

No.

I'm all about buying cheap, high mileage cars.... But that's way too high. I, personally, would never buy anything above 150k. Unless it were dirt cheap, which is an important detail you have left out if looking for opinions :)

Even for a honda 280 is pretty risky, there's more to a car than quality of build. For all you know the people who owned it within the past 15 years were idiots and only changed the oil at 5,000 mile intervals, or ran it ragged in other ways.

• Members

Yeah ha a mechanic look at it and ask the person selling it if the muffler and the timing chain have been replaced. also take for a long test drive and run it through all of the gears several times honda clutches give out long before the engine.

+1, ask if the clutch has ever been replaced too. My clutch in my old Saturn gave out at around 130k or so...

Archived