counting help (tool)

bleepo

• Members

For some reason, I can't nail the intro part of Tool's The Pot.

Can anyone give me some insight on how to count that?

I've got the rest of the song, except the intro, and that riff an octave down.

I don't listen to tool, and was given less than 24 hours to learn it. The drummer and guitards have known since wednesday :mad:

• Members

thats what I do dude, count in 4/4

I admit that it takes practice and a keen ear to learn it, I had to giggle when there was a guy who posted a vid on youtube about how to play it and he was playing the riff wrong...

I could tab it out for you in Guitar Pro with the right timing if you want but I'll get sued :p

Or if you got a mic, try and do a {censored}ty recording and post it up? we might be able to help you out with your timing that way

• Members

Justin or Walbassplayer? Both of em' get the job done just fine...

Walbassplayer. It's just a pet peeve :D

I watched a few of his videos and there are times when he'll play C and D at the 15th and 17th frets on his low D string instead of playing them at the third and fifth frets on the A string - just barely making it back in time to play the lower notes again. It's just inefficient. :blah:

• Members

Walbassplayer. It's just a pet peeve
:D

I watched a few of his videos and there are times when he'll play C and D at the 15th and 17th frets on his low D string instead of playing them at the third and fifth frets on the A string - just barely making it back in time to play the lower notes again. It's just inefficient.
:blah:

I know exactly what you mean, but he's playing it exactly how Justin plays it. He's seen them so many times and analyzed exactly what he was doing...

• Members

Walbassplayer. It's just a pet peeve
:D

I watched a few of his videos and there are times when he'll play C and D at the 15th and 17th frets on his low D string instead of playing them at the third and fifth frets on the A string - just barely making it back in time to play the lower notes again. It's just inefficient.
:blah:

Efficiency isn't the end-all, especially when playing in drop-d. I subscribe to the theory that I could play an identical "G" on all 4 (or 5) strings, but it's overtones and weight will feel different. Because of this, when you want something to sound heavier, its better to climb up a low string than go across the neck.

Watch Dirk Lance (Incubus), Tim Commerford (Rage Against The Machine), Traa Daniels (P.O.D.), etc. They all will use a higher neck position in lieu of going across the neck.

• Members

I know exactly what you mean, but he's playing it exactly how Justin plays it. He's seen them so many times and analyzed exactly what he was doing...

Interesting. I saw his video on 46&2 and wondered why he didn't use his pinky...maybe JC doesn't either.

Yo.

• Members

Efficiency isn't the end-all, especially when playing in drop-d. I subscribe to the theory that I could play an identical "G" on all 4 (or 5) strings, but it's overtones and weight will feel different. Because of this, when you want something to sound heavier, its better to climb up a low string than go across the neck.

Watch Dirk Lance (Incubus), Tim Commerford (Rage Against The Machine), Traa Daniels (P.O.D.), etc. They all will use a higher neck position in lieu of going across the neck.

That's true and all but when your technique or choice of notes effects your fluency, it's time to go what works the easiest. To me, at least, it makes more sense for a guitarist if he's in D and uses notes above the 12th fret because it's easier for them to play power chords with one finger. It's a matter of preference, definitely. But. When your playing is sloppy it's time to reconsider what choice to use.

• Members

That's true and all but when your technique or choice of notes effects your fluency, it's time to go what works the easiest. To me, at least, it makes more sense for a guitarist if he's in D and uses notes above the 12th fret because it's easier for them to play power chords with one finger. It's a matter of preference, definitely. But. When your playing is sloppy it's time to reconsider what choice to use.

If you're playing on an original track or on a recording, I would agree, but otherwise, practice makes perfect! :thu:

• Members

Interesting. I saw his video on 46&2 and wondered why he didn't use his pinky...maybe JC doesn't either.

Yo.

Well...maybe not exactly like that, but the same notes & positions at least. I'm not sure if JC uses his pinky. I do whenever I play Tool...but that's me.

Archived