Bob Novak on Plame....

chris-dax

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So there was a crime but the prosecutor chose not to prosecute the perpetrator of the crime and instead chose to go after Scooter Libby? Why's that? Liberals are hitting a new low on the stupid scale for swallowing this whole plate of political garbage. Pathetic really. What really kills me are the way liberals favorably compare Clinton scandals to those associated with Bush. For example;
Clinton PARDONS drug dealers, tax cheats, crooked politicians and child molesters while Bush commutes the sentence of a guy who never should have been questioned in the first place. Bush is so bad.
Clinton uses the White House staff to cover his sexual escapades with a subordinate and liberals cry, "it's his personal life" while conveniently forgetting that Clinton was a serial sexual predator who had settled out of court with other victims, then went on to lie about his actual crimes after paying them off.
Bush is chastised for firing of 8 prosecutors while Clinton fires 93 of them at once to get rid of the prosecutors who were after him for Whitewater crimes. Nice touch. By the way, the 8 that were fired by Bush got canned because some weren't doing their job and were pro-actively avoiding voter-fraud cases that would clearly hurt democrats. Others were fired because they didn't agree with conservative views on sentencing and guidelines, which is the president's perogative. The democrats are making this a scandal for no reason, just like Fitz went after Scooter. Would people have even noticed if the mainstream media wasn't shoving this non-story down your throats everyday? You've been manipulated, accept it and move on.
There's so much more but not enough time. Clinton was ghetto trash and his wife is no better. He was a useful dummy to terrorists and leaders like Yassir Arafat. Clinton inherited a growing economy from Bush Sr. and turned it to slop for Bush Jr. to clean up, which he has done despite 9/11, the war on terror and other numerous unforseen disasters. What really burns me is that people just lap up liberal hypocrisy on matters such as the war and the Patriot Act. The Dems are so phony and people let them get away with it, worse they reward them for it!!

• Members

Except if you read the actual act, it doesn't stipulate that anywhere at all. "Serving" (the actual language of the act) and being "stationed" (not mentioned) are two different things. Troops "serve" in the military whether they're "stationed" State-side or elsewhere.

I do feel that there are several updates required for the act (mainly due to the nature of modern electronic communication), but Novak, Libby, Armitage et al. acted stupidly, and possibly criminally.

and by et al you're of course including Joe Wilson and Fitzgerald.

Let's all remember that Wilson published an article in the NYT (I think) about his report to the CIA about the Niger trip, and then it came out later under sworn testimony that his article was full of 1/2 truths and outright lies.

Fitzgerald knew before he started the investigation who the source of the leak was....and yet he persisted in his lenghty, costly and ultimately barren investigation.

It would be one thing if Fitzgerald was led to Armitage after investigating the charges...but to know from day 1 that it was Armitage really doesn't sit well with me. It makes it look like a fishing expedition from the start...which if true is really an abuse of the power vested in the special prosecutor.

IMO, it is that fact (ie the Fitzgerald knew it was Armitage immediately) that factored strongly in Bush's decision to commute the jail time.

• Members

and by
et al
you're of course including Joe Wilson and Fitzgerald.

I don't think Fitzgerald acted criminally. Stupidly? Yes.

Let's all remember that Wilson published an article in the NYT (I think) about his report to the CIA about the Niger trip, and then it came out later under sworn testimony that his article was full of 1/2 truths and outright lies.

Fitzgerald knew before he started the investigation who the source of the leak was....and yet he persisted in his lenghty, costly and ultimately barren investigation.

The investigation was ostensibly to see if the leak was ordered. Fitzgerald failed to nail Armitage, but to say that the leaker (and only the leaker) was his sole target is obtuse.

It would be one thing if Fitzgerald was led to Armitage after investigating the charges...but to know
from day 1
that it was Armitage really doesn't sit well with me. It makes it look like a fishing expedition from the start...which if true is really an abuse of the power vested in the special prosecutor.

See above.

IMO, it is that fact (ie the Fitzgerald knew it was Armitage immediately) that factored strongly in Bush's decision to commute the jail time.

That's specious reasoning at best. Fire Fitzgerald if you feel he miscarried justice, and pardon Libby completely. Otherwise it's baffling.

• Moderators
That's specious reasoning at best. Fire Fitzgerald if you feel he miscarried justice, and pardon Libby completely. Otherwise it's baffling.

Libby will lose the ability to practice law. He paid $250,000 in fines, remains on probation and has a felony conviction on his record. That's hardly a pardon. The judge dished out a sentence that was greater than what was recommended by the prosecution. These facts fail to register with haters.

• Members

Well it wasn't reasoning per se, just IMO....but really it's not baffling to me

Bush stated that he valued the jury's opinion...ie he agreed that there was a crime committed...ie the jury found that Libby had perjured himself. He didn't pardon Libby - he bagged the jail time of his sentence.

Also, Libby still has an appeal pending, IINM, but the judge refused to allow Libby to remain out of jail pending the outcome of the appeal which I think would normally be done.

Those 2 things: that there were never any charges brought by the prosecutor who new what he was looking for before he started; and that the judge decided that Libby would have to pursue his appeal behind bars - were the reason Bush stepped in as he did....

again that is IMO....it's pure speculation, but I have to think that they were pretty big factors. Whether one agrees with Bush or not, I don't think there's any big mystery as to why he did it....c-d

• Members
So there was a crime but the prosecutor chose not to prosecute the perpetrator of the crime and instead chose to go after Scooter Libby? Why's that?

Because Libby's lies and obstructions made it impossible to get to the underlying crime.

• Members
and by
et al

Back this up.

• Members

Bush didn't pardon Libby because Libby was a useful idiot for a political hack and got tripped up. Even if it was "ordered", so what? The whole Wilson trip was made to discredit the president so isn't it natural to discredit the discreditor? This is valid defense. Wilson, by the suggestion of Plame, goes on a political witch hunt to prove a negative that can't be proven and gets a headline in the Washington Post? That paper is a left-leaning rag that hides behind the 1st amendment to spread propaganda and get democrats elected. It's like a printed version of CBS news, whose main man Dan Rather got busted for false documents and then hired Katie Couric who was crying on air after Bush mopped the floor with John Kerry!! hahaha!!

• Moderators
Bush didn't pardon Libby because Libby was a useful idiot for a political hack and got tripped up. Even if it was "ordered", so what? The whole Wilson trip was made to discredit the president so isn't it natural to discredit the discreditor? This is valid defense. Wilson, by the suggestion of Plame, goes on a political witch hunt to prove a negative that can't be proven and gets a headline in the Washington Post? That paper is a left-leaning rag that hides behind the 1st amendment to spread propaganda and get democrats elected. It's like a printed version of CBS news, whose main man Dan Rather got busted for false documents and then hired Katie Couric who was crying on air after Bush mopped the floor with John Kerry!! hahaha!!

Yeah, but if the Republicans are going to hold a president accountable for what the definition of is is and a blowjob in the presidential palace, I'm glad that Bush upheld the conviction here, because people shouldn't be lying under oath or misleading the prosecution, no matter how misguided an investigation may be.

• Members

Back this up.

Here's Wilson's NYT op-ed

here's some stuff on gop.com

here's a Clifford May article on National Review that has lot's of support links in it.

Wilson is the biggest liar of all in the whole fiasco.

From May's article -

"But now Ambassador Joseph C. Wilson has been thoroughly discredited. Last week's bipartisan Senate intelligence committee report concluded that it is he who has been telling lies.

For starters, he has insisted that his wife, CIA employee Valerie Plame, was not the one who came up with the brilliant idea that the agency send him to Niger to investigate whether Saddam Hussein had been attempting to acquire uranium. In fact, the Senate panel found, she was the one who got him that assignment. The panel even found a memo by her.

Wilson spent a total of eight days in Niger "drinking sweet mint tea and meeting with dozens of people," as he put it. On the basis of this "investigation" he confidently concluded that there was no way Saddam sought uranium from Africa. Oddly, Wilson didn't bother to write a report saying this. Instead he gave an oral briefing to a CIA official.

Oddly, too, as an investigator on assignment for the CIA he was not required to keep his mission and its conclusions confidential. And for the New York Times, he was happy to put pen to paper, to write an op-ed charging the Bush administration with "twisting," "manipulating" and "exaggerating" intelligence about Saddam Hussein's weapons programs "to justify an invasion."

In particular he said that President Bush was lying when, in his 2003 State of the Union address, he pronounced these words: "The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa."

We now know for certain that Wilson was wrong and that Bush's statement was entirely accurate.

...In recent days, the Financial Times has reported that illicit sales of uranium from Niger were indeed being negotiated with Iraq, as well as with four other states.

According to the FT: "European intelligence officers have now revealed that three years before the fake documents became public, human and electronic intelligence sources from a number of countries picked up repeated discussion of an illicit trade in uranium from Niger. One of the customers discussed by the traders was Iraq."

There's still more: As Susan Schmidt reported

• Moderators

I'd be interested in these "outright lies".

It's not hard to find. Here are just a few, because it was all that would fit. Full disclosure . . . .I lifted this from a Republitard sight.

1.) Wilson Insisted That The Vice President

• Members
Libby will lose the ability to practice law. He paid $250,000 in fines, remains on probation and has a felony conviction on his record. That's hardly a pardon. The judge dished out a sentence that was greater than what was recommended by the prosecution. These facts fail to register with haters.

The judge dished out a sentence well within guidelines. Libby's fines were paid for before the sentence was handed down. Plus if you think Libby is on Skid Row because of this, you're high. A plush leather club chair awaits him on K Street. Prison was the only truly uncomfortable part of his sentence, and that got nixed.

• Moderators
The judge dished out a sentence well within guidelines. Libby's fines were paid for before the sentence was handed down. Plus if you think Libby is on Skid Row because of this, you're high. A plush leather club chair awaits him on K Street. Prison was the only truly uncomfortable part of his sentence, and that got nixed.

Libby's fines were not paid prior to the sentencing. Why would anyone pay a fine before they new what the sentence was. Again, you can see things as you like. That's not necessarily reality.

• Members
Libby's fines were not paid prior to the sentencing. Why would anyone pay a fine before they new what the sentence was. Again, you can see things as you like. That's not necessarily reality.

You know what I mean. His defense fund, generously contributed by a host of friends, covered that and then some. The claims that he's out of his "life savings" (I've actually heard this) are hilarious.

• Moderators
You know what I mean. His defense fund, generously contributed by a host of friends, covered that and then some. The claims that he's out of his "life savings" (I've actually heard this) are hilarious.

I've never heard that claim. It would be an exaggeration at best. My guess is that even if he paid out of pocket, he still wouldn't have to mortgage anything.

• Members

He must be a really great guy to have friends give that much. :thu:

Archived