gear report - Lakland 44-02

chris-dax

• Members

had a chance to take my new guit for spin this weekend...Lakland 44-02 with the new Lakland pups and 3 band preamp (22 frets, 4 banger, maple board just like this pic)

44-02_2_tn.jpg

context - contemporary praise band

electric and acoutic guitars

keys

set

percussion

3 male and 3 female vocalists

rig - workingman 15in combo

pa - 4 powered mackies + 2 subs

book - latin flavored high energy stuff....got to open it up quite a bit

So the bottom line on the guitar....11/10

The 3 band preamp is really responsive and with the MM/Jazz pup config and coil tap it is possible to find any tone you want...seriously from thuddy P to funky slap to growly J bridge - it's in there.

Like everything on the guitar, the preamp performs....the knobs are some kind of no slip hard rubber - pots have center detente so you can adjust them without looking if necessary but also have a white stripe for visual reference - the 5 knob layout is completely intuitive and easy to "get" - the coil tap switch is placed perfectly where it is right at the fingertips but not ever in the way. It's a thing of ergonomic beauty...

I really like the blend pot...which allows you to pan from all neck (J) to all bridge (MM) and anywhere in between. The bridge has a 3 position coil tap so you have a wide range of pickup options and blending.

Overall the guitar cuts through. I can't compare it to the Barts they used to load in there, but reviews I've read describe the Laks as more agressive. I will say that wherever I had the settings and pup selectors, the sound was very defined and present.

The sustain is impressive....whole notes hang out there like clothes on a line...

the neck is more towards the J end of the scale but did not feel too narrow or thin. For comparison, my other guitars have a P neck and a mighty mite that's closer to a P than a J and I like them both. This neck is noticably thinner but did not feel the least bit uncomfortable after 6-7 hours gigging.

The neck shape combined with low profile frets make for easy left hand fingering and the ability to reach some extensions that are not possible on my other guitars. It is really a pleasure in that respect

up above the 12th fret the action is great all the way across the board...and some of the sweetest singing tones you've ever heard. Really almost bell like on the D and G strings.

All of the playing was outdoors and the stage was uncovered...:mad: I played in temps ranging from around 70F up to 85 and varying from in the shade to full sun. The guitar just flat stayed in tune....I'm used to doing a lot of tuning when I play outdoors but this was not the case with the Lakland.

The main impression or characteristic of this guitar is how responsive it is to the player. Right hand has a LOT of range volume wise....it was kind of startling at first how much I could increase the volume without changing the level pot. Tuners are solid and accurate. Sustain quality allows a lot of left hand "touch". Electronics will do what you ask them to.

Of course the fit and finish are perfect as far as I'm concerned.

This guitar is a pleasure in every dimension.

Accesories...I put out about another $100 ($50 each) for a Levys padded strap and Access "semi-rigid" gig bag. Both of these items are so worth the money....especially the strap. Everytime I put that thing over my shoulder I think damn this feels good.

the Access bag has 2 large pockets and the handles and shoulder strap are very well padded. The nylon outer shell looks pretty indestructable as do the heavy duty zippers and zipper handles. I think $50 for this is a bargain.

This is one great guitar...the Lakland reputation and hype is well deserved.

• Members

That is a STUNNING bass.

Now that the Ric is delayed for god knows how long, I'm kicking myself for not hopping on one of the $850 L2000s or C7's offer...

That was a "closeout" deal, right?

Is it OK to as what that set you back, and can another one be had for that price?

:D

• Members

The first time you played that very bass, you were sort of "meh." and now you're having sex with it?
:D
C7

you are so right....it didn't send me over the moon on the first taste....

getting it out on stage really shows what it's about....

that mofo takes no prisoners...:D

• Members

Owners - are you going string through body or through back of bridge? Is that a useful feature in your view?

I go through the body using Tapered DR stainless. It's like those DR strings were born on it.

Does stringing through make a whole heck of a lot of difference? i'll let Allan field that one, as i haven't done the bridge yet, i haven't found it necessary. ymmv

I do want to try those Lakland pups and amp though.

• Members

Owners - are you going string through body or through back of bridge? Is that a useful feature in your view?

I haven't yet changed the strings on mine....which are through the body. But I can tell you that the sustain on this guitar is extraordinary.

I think the bridge mass and design and the string through account for a lot of that...c-d

Archived