(Linux) Beryl screenshots. Big pix!

allan grossman

• Members

That's Ubuntu Studio with Beryl installed - but any current distribution should be able to do it. The transparent background windows are completely configurable
;)

I ran Ubuntu standard for a while but I couldn't get JACK to work, so no sound for recording :(

I might try again in a few months.

• Members

The looks cool but would be annoying as hell for me.

Actually it's pretty easy to get used to - I keey the active window and the most recently used window opaque and everything else goes transparent. It's all eye candy but the desktop cube is pretty neat too.

• Members

Allan, where did you get the Ubuntu Studio distribution?

Did you have any problems with JACK or the sound on it?? What pc are you running?
:)

http://ubuntustudio.org :)

No problems with JACK. Dell Precision Workstation 240, 2.8GHz, 1GB RAM, 36GB 10k RPM SCSI boot drive and 500gb PATA home drive. Sound card is an older SoundBlaster Live gamer edition.

• Members

I like Amarok better.

I tried Amarok. It went something like this: create playlist, wait for it to scan everything, wait some more, wait some more, surf the web, check back and it's finally done. I had XMMS up and running in much less time and with less pain.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Ok- I'm new to Ubuntu.

How do I save the skin into the /usr/share/xmms/skins folder?

It says I don't have permissions.....

I haven't used xmms in ages. Does it have to live there, or can you point it to the file elsewhere?

Also, it may also look in ~/.xmms/Skins or something for skins.

Edit: It looks like I'm right about that path. I rule! :D

• Members

I haven't used xmms in ages. Does it have to live there, or can you point it to the file elsewhere?

Also, it may also look in ~/.xmms/Skins or something for skins.

Edit: It looks like I'm right about that path. I rule!
:D

cool.. now could you dumb it down for a newbie on how I find that.....:confused:

Archived