hanging mics

crapo

• Members

I do indoor simulation training. We currently use head mics to get clearer vox. I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on hanging mics to pic up the room vox to get rid of the head mics. The room is about 4mx5m (12 footx 15 foot).

• Members

Describe "indoor simulation training".

If it's just speaking or singing voices, hang a condenser mic in the middle of the room. If it's a full band, hang some shotgun condenser mics lower in the room, and point them at the sources.

It's not the best way, but if the room doesn't have wicked reflections, it isn't that bad.

C7

• Members

Opps, I was meant to post this in the live sound forum - oh well.

Think of it as a Big Brother (TV show setup) and so the vocals is just speaking. I was thinking of something like they have in parliment house (or other conference/open talking type places). We have got some boundry mics (AKG) on the roof but they seem a bit muddy (maybe its just the quality), but in our parliment house the voices seem a lot clearer. The room is a bit reflective (its for simulated looks, not a sound studio)

Any thoughts/advise is appreciated. Thanks

• Members

we have one vocal mic right now. And when we are working on the music of a song I just toss it up over the one pipe in the ceiling and run it into an 8 track and then into a pc. It actually works a lot better than what i thought. the bass gets a bit overwhelming at times but it gets the job done for what we use the rough recordings for

• Members

Crapo,

An Audio friend of mine that I used to be in a band with brought some flat square condensor mic's once and used them to record our rehearsals with some pretty {censored}en good results.

It was about 6 or 7 years ago, but he brought them from Tandy of all places.

I'm not sure of the make or brand, but these things picked up everything very well and may suit your purposes.

Archived