Hipshot de-tuners. Do they work well?

browndog021

• Members

I just got my schecter studio - 5 today ( I actually have not seen it yet because it got delivered to my drummers house). Here is my thought: We use about 4 tunings and I would like to use one bass( I want less tone and volume issues when switching basses ) for everything. I want to put de - tuners on the "B" and "E" strings so I can quickly switch from tuning to tuning.I could tune the bass to the lowest tuning and just shift the fingerings respectivly but this limits me using open notes and is difficult on many of the covers we do. I was wondering what you all thought of this and if anybody has any experience using the de- tuners. Are they acurate after many "flips" between tunings? Thanks.

• Members

They are accurate if you make sure that the strings are properly stretched out, if you have adjusted the detuner properly, and if you use the same brand, type and gauge strings all the time. Pulling on the string a bit when you flip the detuner back into the up-position is also a good idea. Oh, and make sure you use thick enough strings with good tension, as detuning a string will make it more floppy. I use a .110 on my E which detunes to D.

I can't live without mine! :thu:

• Members

Can you tune more than a whole step? Say , from "C" to "A#" on my .130?

They say it's possible to go from an E to a C on the hipshot site, so I assume you can. I just got one in today for my Ray. Haven't got a chance to put it on yet though.

• Members

Well, I just installed mine. Super easy. Took maybe 5 minutes. I was able to get it to drop from E to C without a problem, but like Rowka said, I don't see you getting two on there at once. It's a nice little add on though.

• Members

I hate them

i just grab up another bass that is already drop tuned.

Out of curiosity, what don't you like? I've only had the thing on for half an hour or so, so I'll admit my opinion isn't quite a developed one.

• Members

It's a Steinberger. They took the design off XL Steinie bridges and adapted it to headed instruments.

steinie.jpg
Good luck finding one. I had a hard time and it was 12 years ago.

I don't even know what I'd put one on. I just think it's a damn cool design. :thu:

• Members

I think I'd be worried that, by detuning two strings, you'd take enough pressure off the neck to cause the other strings to go sharp. Just my .02

That's a good point.

I have a Hipshot on my G&L 2000. I don't use it a great deal, but I like it a lot. I use it to drop the E to D, and I've never had any tuning problems with it. Smooth and precise.

I was sold on buying one when I saw Billy Sheehan use one during a David Lee Roth show. Sheehan and Vai were crushing a chord at the end of a song, and when they hit a D, Sheehan used the Hipshot to do drop down and do so. I was about 20 feet from him, and that one note seemed to shake the building.

• Members

I use one on my Lakland Joe Osborn 4. I love it, my singer had a tendency to just drop D and start playing a song without telling anyone, my guitar player could tune fast, but with bass it was harder to get in tune fast. So I put one on and it works great. Perfect tuning.

Archived