Three intrument switch

D Aussie

• Members

My current show requires that I have change to three different instruments during a set. I need to have three instruments plugged in on stage at the moment.

Is there a 3 way A/B box or something (ABC box)?

Or should I just grab a small cheap mixer and bung that on top of the amp?

• Members

Loopmaster and similar places make 3 way switches like that, you can even get them with LEDs showing which is active. I'm not sure who made it, but the one I saw that I liked the most had 3 stomp switches, whichever you stepped on last is "live".

• Members

Hmm.. maybe an easy electronics project?

Anyone know what the wiring would be?

The simplest version, where you have one stomp switch choosing between input A and (whichever of B and C is selected) and the other to select between B and C, is pretty easy. Add LEDs, it gets harder. The one I mentioned with 3 stomp switches has to have some additional logic or relays on the inside, I think, I don't see how to make that work with just normal latching switches (I know I've seen a box like that, though).

• Members

Crude drawing, and I left out some details, but here's the basic idea for a simple version. Blue wires are signal, red are LED power. (Not showing all of the grounds, which can just be tied together, also not showing any power step down that might be needed for the LEDs.)

Two DPDT stomp switches, two LEDs. When the left LED is on, input A is active, when it's off, either B or C is active. When the right LED is on, input B is active. When both LEDs are off, input C is active.

• Members

You could use a simple rotary switch. A 2-pole is all you need and you can get rotary switches with up to 6 positions from StewMac, Warmoth, AllParts, etc. That would give you up to 6 instruments to switch between. Mount that in a box with 1/4" jacks, add a little wire and solder, and you're off.

You actually don't even really need 2 poles. You can use the second pole to connect LED indicators if you want. Although, you would need a power source for that. But you would NOT need a preamp with that.

• Members

I kinda like the idea of making myself a three position switch box.

Would I need a power source for that?

Hmm.. thanks guys.

I just gotta remember not to hold the tip of the soldering iron like a pencil again.:thu:

• Members

I kinda like the idea of making myself a three position switch box.

Would I need a power source for that?

Hmm.. thanks guys.

I just gotta remember not to hold the tip of the soldering iron like a pencil again.
:thu:

the only reason you'd need a power source is for indicator LED's, and even then all you need is a 9volt. the switches themselves would be passive.

the LED's make it easier to tell which one is on, esp with 3 instrs, but if you used a rotary you could simply draw or mark positions on the box for which was selected.

if you use stomp switches, check out the AB switcher i built from the attached PDF. it turned out great and make sure to check out how he grounded it so that it doesn't pop when you switch and apply it somehow to make an ABC switcher or something.

• Members

Yeah, that's a fair point about grounding out the inactive signal, I thought about that, but didn't show it in my little picture. Actually, with two of those 3PDT switches, and a couple of small relays, it'd be easy to make an A/B/C box with an LED for each, showing exactly what was going on (each LED on only when the corresponding line is active, with "normally closed" relays used to ensure only one LED is on at once).

• Members

Wow, guys that is amazing info.

Particulary those diagrams and photos.

I would love to get into building projects like this myself, but I fear my (very meagre) talents are best left to repairing mic and speaker leads.

If only that PDF was of a 3 way switch with LEDs I would be in!

• Members

Little mixer has few advantages. First and formost imo is it allows you to have the signal level for each instrument to amp allready set. Via mixers level controls. Instead of having to readjust volumes with each volume change. 2nd is mixer with some tone controls preferably 3 per ch, allows some tone shaping for each instrument so its right out of the mixer to amp without having to mess with amps eq for each instrument change. Something like Yamaha MG 10/2 as one very nice imo little mixer that inexpensive.

• Members

Little mixer has few advantages....

Definately.. but Im using a POD Xt so all the instruments have separate patches assigned anyway.

I'm just trying to avoid the inevitable POP associated with changing instruments.

Archived