30 Minutes and basic hand tools my aching burro!

burdizzos

• Members

So I'm just now getting around to putting a trailer hitch on my truck since the ball bolted to my bumper doesn't seem to be fairing too well.

How many of you own a 5/8" metal bit?

I had to drill four holes in the frame of my truck. What a pain in the ass! It took me half and hour just to do that.

I suppose if I had a hydraulic lift, I'd be done by now, but I'm taking a break. I've got all of the brackets into place and bolted together, now I just need to life the receiver into place and bolt it in.

:mad:

• Members

I thin it was worth the $200 I paid to by one and have it installed on my old truck, they did it in like 30 minutes. I used to work in metal fabrication, I know the joy of finding bits of sharp metal in all sorts of places you wouldn't expect it...... (lets just say you're going to want to take off your clothes/shirt before sitting on the hopper so no shavings fall into your underwear..... that one hurt!)

• Members

I thin it was worth the $200 I paid to by one and have it installed on my old truck, they did it in like 30 minutes. I used to work in metal fabrication, I know the joy of finding bits of sharp metal in all sorts of places you wouldn't expect it...... (lets just say you're going to want to take off your clothes/shirt before sitting on the hopper so no shavings fall into your underwear..... that one hurt!)

If I had a shop, I probably could have done it in about 45 minutes.

Drilling horizontal holes while lying on a creeper is a pain in the ass.

It might have been worth paying someone to install it, but it's too late now. It took me about an hour and a half.

Luckily for me, I have a calibrated arm, so I didn't need a torque wrench.

Maybe my definition of "basic" hand tools is cocked up, the only guys I know with torque wrenches and 9/16" + metal bits are dudes who routinely work on cars.

• Members

Two hundred bucks for the hitch plus installation is a pretty nice price. I would definitely go that route myself, especially in light of the fact that every vehicle repair/modification I've ever attempted has gone horribly awry.

Archived