What do you guys do when you practice?

snd4c

• Members

I'm getting bored of scales! What do you guys do?

If you're bored of scales, then practice chords! :thu:

Sorry, not to be an ass...

If you have also the chance to form a little band, you can explore other possibilities with the instrument. :D

• Members

About 7 different riffs from different practice books, a couple of LZ and DP songs, a few other rock songs, lot of noodling with blues patterns, and just having fun with rhythms and/or scales. Once in a while, I make sure I learn a new tune, explore a rhythm, or something odd.

• Members

If you're bored of scales, then practice chords!
:thu:

Sorry, not to be an ass...

If you have also the chance to form a little band, you can explore other possibilities with the instrument.
:D

I'm already in a band :freak: I'm practicing on my own I want to get better.

• Members

I'm already in a band
:freak:
I'm practicing on my own I want to get better.

That lame boring stuff in practice never feels like anything unless you use it in a band. I'm pretty much the same way in that straight practicing gets tiresome but it increases my musical vocabulary in a band which makes it easier to play from the heart instead of having limitations.

Repetitious practicing helps ingrain everything you are learning. If you are learning a scale or mode, write a song using that particular mode. Walk some changes and learn some sax or trumpet leads. Learn songs by ears. Etc etc.

• Members

Go to youtube, type in the name of a song you like but dont know howto play, then learn it! or type things like 'jazz bass' or 'funk solo' and try to do waht they are doing.

Thats a great Idea idk why I didn't think of that.

Btw Is there such thing as finger stretching or any sort of physical thing I can do before to increase endurance? I figure I can google it but I rather get tips from you guys.

• Members

If you're bored of scales, then practice chords!
:thu:

when you get tired with chords work on arpeggios which is basicallty strucrures of chords played one note at a time.

youcan also combine a mixture of scales and arpeggios to make up bass lines

just think creatively while you practice.:idea:

• Members

I just play. Sometimes I try to figure songs out. Sometimes I try to play the same {censored} over and over, faster and faster until I eff up. Sometimes I try to improv over a 12 bar blues scale. Just depends. In general... I just play.

• Members

Scales, chords, and so fourth are pro'lly the best stuff for "skills" (faster fretting, opening your musical perspective--especially with scales you've never even heard of), but what I am doing increasingly is simply runnin' 'ole iTunes and turning the bass all the way down on my stereo... the bass just ends up sounding like another guitar, and then just jam with your new band, with whom you wish you could jam with...

• Members

work with cds i like; trying to play everything i ear. Bass line, guitar chords, sax solos, guitar solos, vocals melodies, drums (with slap thing) ... very funny sometimes, but never boring.

Actually i work on Johnny Clegg best of. :cool:

• Members

All of the above.

Do you sing? If not then do! Practice singing along with lines that you know - either lead line or harmonies. Really helps your melodic sensibilities and your ability to be a good band player. Also always helps to have the ability to add harmonies if you are not the main singer.

• Members

I usually practice like this:

First, I noodle around playing scales or whatever in increasingly rapid tempo, as a warmup. Then I Play songs, often while listening to the original song on my mac. Jamming to a drum machine is good as well.

When I practice with the band, we usually just rehearse old songs and write new songs. Me and the drummer usually noodle around for 10-15 minutes just the two of us, when the guitards take a break. :p

Archived