DAOTD: gun control edition

ec437

• Members

BEAUFORT, S.C. (AP) - A 19-year-old man picked the wrong time to shoot at two brothers, opening fire just as they got ready to do some target practice, police said. Antoine Robinson was shot once in the arm during the shootout around 4:15 p.m. Monday, Beaufort County deputies said.

Robinson pulled up to the Beaufort home, got out of his car and started firing at brothers Rodmond Singleton, 24, and Titus Singleton, 18, authorities said.

The brothers said they were getting ready to shoot target practice and grabbed their guns and fired back, hitting Robinson once, deputies said.

Robinson was taken to the hospital and released to jail later that night. He has been charged with two counts of assault and battery with intent to kill, authorities said.

The brothers were not hit, deputies said.

Deputies continue to investigate the shooting, in part trying to determine if the brothers were licensed to fire the guns, sheriff's spokeswoman Robin McIntosh said.

linky

Discuss.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Good, more citizens should practice the right to bear arms... now why they guy came around to shoot the bro is a different story.....

I am for guns, I feel that if more people carried them then there would be less crime, ause you aren't going to hold up granny if she might cap your ass..... now are you?

I also have experience with guns. I have shot guns, learned how to handle and take care of them, and have learned to respct them. So call me the NRA, I had an NRA sticker on my first bass case, ;cause they sent t to me and I thought it was funny... "I'm the NRA" it said... I got it in the mail with an application to join.... I was 14....

Now, I've also had my share of fights that ended with someone showing off a gun, or pointing it in places they shouldn't, so I undertand how seriousof a tool they can be.

• Members

The FBI's Crime in the United States estimated that 66% of the 16,137 murders in 2004 were committed with firearms. That's only the murders, that doesn't count the people who were only wounded or crippled. Just because some people are responsible with their guns doesn't mean that everybody else, and unfortunately for you gun-lovers, a few bad apples do indeed spoil the whole damn bunch. If guns are not regulated you'll end up having more and more Columbine or Virginia Tech type incidents, and gun fan or not, I'm sure we all agree that nobody wants that to happen ever again.

On a personal note, I think guns are for pussies. I mean, how tough do you have to be to intimidate somebody with something that's as simple to use as an instant camera?

For all of you gun lovers, I've got a question. And I'm not trying to poke fun or get a rise out of you. I'm serious. What is it about guns that you love so much? I just don't get it, so please explain it to me. Is it the power of the recoil as it runs up your arm? Is it the smell of the gunpowder as it burns through the air? Explain it. I'm curious.

• Members

I like guns because shooting is fun. It really isn't too deep to me.

As far as guns being for "pussies..."

Thats a hell of a blanket statement and I, personally, take it as an insult. I have personally not run into a situation where I felt I needed a gun to intimidate someone.

• Members

I like guns because shooting is fun. It really isn't too deep to me.

As far as guns being for "pussies..."

Thats a hell of a blanket statement and I, personally, take it as an insult. I have personally not run into a situation where I felt I needed a gun to intimidate someone.

Okay, so I insulted you. What are you gonna do? Shoot me?:eek:

:D

• Members

I am for guns, I feel that if more people carried them then there would be less crime, ause you aren't going to hold up granny if she might cap your ass..... now are you?

I always thought this logic was seriously flawed, and it seems to be thrown around a lot.

Lets take the case of the liquor store hold-up. Say, as it is now, the robber goes in to rob the store. He shows his gun and, through intimidation, gets away without firing a shot.

Now lets say everyone in that store has a gun, and he knows it. Is he just going to not rob it? If he were afraid of the consequences of such a serious crime, why would he commit it in the first scenario? So given that he would rob it either way, how's he going to do it without getting killed? The most logical way would be to just walk in and shoot. It's not worth the risk of threatening people if you know they might just shoot back, so he should just take them out right off the bat. What was a potentially un-violent encounter in the first scenario becomes necessarily deadly in the second.

Giving everyone guns doesn't take the deal off the table. It just raises the stakes.

Crime would still be present, it's just that crimes will become more deadly force oriented when they do happen.

• Members

Okay, so I insulted you. What are you gonna do? Shoot me?
:eek:

:D

Of course not.

If I need to do something to you, I figure a few slashes with a rusty knife and then tieing you down would do the job. Nothing like a little tetanus between you and a friend!:thu:

Or I could call you a dumb Canuck, but that wouldn't be nice.

• Members

Or I could call you a dumb Canuck, but that wouldn't be nice.

But it might be more accurate.:p Canada is not the US, and the US is not Canada, and on this subject the two will probably never understand each other. It makes no difference what the outside world thinks, we have our society and it works just fine for us. If they don't 'get it' when it comes to owning firearms, or agree with that right then too bad. We don't need to explain it to anyone.

• Members

But it might be more accurate.
:p
Canada is not the US, and the US is not Canada, and on this subject the two will probably never understand each other. It makes no difference what the outside world thinks, we have our society and it works just fine for us. If they don't 'get it' when it comes to owning firearms, or agree with that right then too bad. We don't need to explain it to anyone.

Right on!

th_smiley_ZZminigunlaughing.gif

• Members

... If guns are not regulated you'll end up having more and more Columbine or Virginia Tech type incidents, and gun fan or not, I'm sure we all agree that nobody wants that to happen ever again.

Just as seriously, if the first classroom the gunman had entered contained a student packing a gun who had killed the gunman after only, say, five or six murders, that student would be facing all kinds of alienation and lawsuits right now (even though in hindsight we can see that he could have saved many lives). In Mississippi, where the junior high student took the rifle on-campus and killed a few people, the principal went to his car, opened the trunk, unlocked a lock-box, took out his pistol, loaded it, and stopped the gunman. The next week, he was explaining to the school board WHY he should be allowed to keep his job. :rolleyes:

Gun owners are "damned if you do, damned if you don't." Personally I don't have a gun that I love, like I do basses. However, I do own some guns. I grew up hunting and enjoy it (not LOVE it). I absolutely LOVE some of my basses, but I don't have that feeling for my guns. I own them, I use them from time to time, but I don't have that strong feeling. However, like my basses, they are mine and I'll be damned if anyone takes them from me.

• Members

To the OP: Where were these two intending on going target shooting that they had their guns loaded already? Their back yard? That sounds safe :)

To the ensuing arguement: As americans we have guns for 3 reasons (IMO)

1. To ensure Liberty by providing a bulwark against tyranny in the form of an armed citizenry, much like compulsory longbow practice helped the English to mitigate the excesses of absolute monarchy

2. To provide a bulwark of defense against foreign invasion- admitedly a minor concern, unless you live along the southwestern border, but thats largely a function of

3. Defense of self, family, and property against theft, murder, etc.

Americans are not passive people, and there fore are not willing to wait for someone else to ride to thier rescue. If you cannot accept these rationales, any further debate is likely pointless.

• Members

A gun is simply a tool. The person behind the gun used in a criminal act is the criminal, not the gun itself.

I have known several people in my lifetime that have argued with me about how the citizenry of the U.S. should be disarmed. I don't believe that. I think that the people being armed is what ultimately keeps the power balance of a democratic government in check (in theory). They're also pretty good at keeping thugs from killing you.

One of the people that used to argue with me about how I should give up my guns is a friend of mine that is also a writer for the local paper. She argued with me for years about 'the only thing wrong with me was that I carried a gun'.

Then one night she and her husband came home to find a 17 year-old boy in their home. He tied up the husband and assaulted my friend in front of her husband, all the while threatening to kill them. He eventually left the home and didn't kill them.

A couple of weeks after this happened, she came by my house and told me that she didn't want to discuss it, but she wanted to know what kind of gun to buy, and where to get trained to use it.

All her years of anti-gun rants changed because of the events of one hour.

Whenever someone starts preaching anti-gun rhetoric, I know that person has not been violated by the scum-of-the-earth thugs and predators that we have bred as a 'touchy-feely society' with too many liberals in office afraid to take a stand. Those are the 'pussies', and they are WAY too worried about the criminals rights, as opposed to the victims rights.

Keep your powder dry, boys.

Sorry for the rant.

• Members

A gun is simply a tool. The person behind the gun used in a criminal act is the criminal, not the gun itself.

I have known several people in my lifetime that have argued with me about how the citizenry of the U.S. should be disarmed. I don't believe that. I think that the people being armed is what ultimately keeps the power balance of a democratic government in check (in theory). They're also pretty good at keeping thugs from killing you.

One of the people that used to argue with me about how I should give up my guns is a friend of mine that is also a writer for the local paper. She argued with me for years about 'the only thing wrong with me was that I carried a gun'.

Then one night she and her husband came home to find a 17 year-old boy in their home. He tied up the husband and assaulted my friend in front of her husband, all the while threatening to kill them. He eventually left the home and didn't kill them.

A couple of weeks after this happened, she came by my house and told me that she didn't want to discuss it, but she wanted to know what kind of gun to buy, and where to get trained to use it.

All her years of anti-gun rants changed because of the events of one hour.

Whenever someone starts preaching anti-gun rhetoric, I know that person has not been violated by the scum-of-the-earth thugs and predators that we have bred as a 'touchy-feely society' with too many liberals in office afraid to take a stand. Those are the 'pussies', and they are WAY too worried about the criminals rights, as opposed to the victims rights.

Keep your powder dry, boys.

Sorry for the rant.

You had me going until you mentioned "liberals". :lol:

• Members

I have been shot at or in the line of fire on three occasions, so you're wrong on that count. I don't have a gun and I don't ever want to need one, and the only thing that would make me need one would be if somebody was pointing one at me. Solution? Don't give some moron the opportunity to arm himself. I don't care about criminal's rights; I care about not getting shot or having one of my loved ones taken down as an innocent bystander. You all argue that crime would decrease if everybody was allowed to carry a gun. Look at the US's crime-rate. Now compare it to Canada, Australia, England, or any other First World Democracy and you'll see that argument is false. I think it sucks for those of you who like guns and enjoy using them as hobbyists, but there are simply too many dudes out there with short-dick syndrome who can't be trusted to carry a loaded firearm, as is illustrated in the original post.

And as for the whole needing it to protect yourself from your government thing, I have never seen a citizenry so afraid of their own elected officials. Your government should be afraid of you because you hold the power in your vote, but instead they've got you all spun around so that you feel the need to protect yourselves from them. How does that make sense? If you don't like something that your government is doing, vote them out. A ballot can have more power than a bullet, and it'll keep you out of jail, too.

• Members

If you don't like something that your government is doing, vote them out.

True, government's have a great rich of respecting individual rights and those elected by popular vote have never violated the rights of the minority.

• Members

True, government's have a great rich of respecting individual rights and those elected by popular vote have never violated the rights of the minority.

And so far gun ownership in the USA has changed that how?:wave:

• Members

For all of you gun lovers, I've got a question. And I'm not trying to poke fun or get a rise out of you. I'm serious. What is it about guns that you love so much? I just don't get it, so please explain it to me. Is it the power of the recoil as it runs up your arm? Is it the smell of the gunpowder as it burns through the air? Explain it. I'm curious.

Drop about 100 half silhouettes (head & shoulders) at 250 meters and you'll find out.

Pepper the living f**k out of a tank at over 500 meters with an M-60 "just because you can"...

Night fire on auto with w/tracers and call it fireworks. (watch where the lead actually goes)

Nah...that {censored}s no fun.;)

Heres a video of a ricochet...yes, it happens even with lower powered weapons. This thing is the most lethal hand held rifle there is using a single shot.

http://shock.military.com/Shock/videos.do?displayContent=141381&page=2&ESRC=airforce.nl

• Members

So we make guns illegal. Do you think the criminals are going to care? No; they're going to keep right on carrying guns when and where they want to. All you've done is removed everyone else's right to fight back.

I keep a shotgun next to my bed. If someone breaks into my house, you know what the first thing I'm going to do is? That's right - grab the gun. Then high-tail it out the window while calling the cops on my cell phone. As long as the intruder sticks to bothering my stuff instead of me, chances are I'll try to make sure he never sees my face. But if he has somebody else waiting outside and they have a gun when I come out the window, I'll be much happier if I can shoot BACK.

Archived