what's your holy grail of amplification??

Guttermouth

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There's no controls on it
:confused:

Levels are at the back...similar to Crown Microtechs. These amps are for serious audiophiles and it's more for installations than anything else. Pure dual mono with dedicated toroids for each channel....When you plug this baby in it'll suck all the juice from a typical 110 household outlet...

not very practical....but still :D

• Members

Anything at all?

Without money considerations?

A Phil Jones setup consisting of the T-500 all tube head, and the 8+24 cabs...

That should be enough to melt anyone standing in front of it...

Alternatively, I could also settle for an AccuGroove El Whappo, with a Whappo Grande to hold the bottom end...

A big pile of EBS powered cabs would also be sweet...

Or a Pair of Cerwin-Vega folded subs...

Anything that can crack walls, in short... :p

• Members

For my current uses, and anything I can foresee myself doing, the GBE750 nails it. I have zero amp/rig gas, and don't think I ever really will again. There's not a sound I want I can't get, and that's pretty much a holy grail amp for me. YMMV.:cool:

• Members

I've heard the Demeter full stack, I can't remember the amp model, at BassN.W. and it sounded killer but for an old guy like me I lean towards the "D" class amps (weight and portability)and stand alone cabs. A Thunderfunk or a MarkBass with one of those Genz Benz Neo 2X12's everyone is so hot on. I have yet to hear or see a GB in my neck of the woods.

• Members

mmm some tasy amps in this thread.

I would love to try that Sadowsky all tube head. Reviews sure make it sound like a buttery dream come true.

B15 Flip Top

SVT into 4x12

Played the Sad all tube head thru a GS112. ...and yes, it was a buttery dream come true. :D

• Members

I agree with Alan Grossman: It really depends on who's moving it! But to dream out loud?

Component Rig would be either the 737 Avalon or Warwick's Hellborg preamp or a Demeter or the Massenburg Channel strip over Crest amps over BagEnd cabs running the Infra Sub/Integrators, with top shelf compression/effects.

Tube Amps: Either the discontinued Aguilar 359 or Eden's VT300B over Eden cabs. Though in my heart I love the way the Anniversary SVT/810 (silver grill cloth) remind me of the old days, even though the tone is way too lumpy for me.

What I'd really like, could use for most things, and could haul in a Civic: The 390-spec Eden DC112XLT over a matching D112XLT extension cab and a BOSS GT6B.

• Members

*DROOL*

But is it a Super Custom Special? THAT would make it my ultimate GAS.

Nah, just a YBA-3. This isn't a pic of my rig, but I have a 1967 YBA-3 that's been modded to run 6550s. Quite enough for me. On Friday I'm buying a Big B cab from the same era, so I should be rocking like crazy soon, and getting rid of my "modern" rig.

• Members

Anyone who doesn't say vintage SVT is a {censored}iot.

:p
:freak:
:mad::D

Figure out how to combine the tone of a vintage SVT with whatever people are using these days to cut the weight of tube amps (I suspect toroidal transformers, but I don't really know), and I'll buy two of them from you.

My ideal rig would be custom, and simple.

A tube head, with either 6550s or EL34s - no master volume, just "Volume"; Bass; selectable Mid; Treble. Somewhere in the 200W-300W range.

A 2x15 + 1x[small midrange driver] cab with Neo drivers.

A DI between the head and cab.

Double it for big venues.

Archived