SWR 4004

SLY_Z_28

• Members

I played it against others in its class - Ampeg B2R and GK 400RB-IV. Compared to either the Ampeg or the GK, the 4004 just sounded kind of "bland." Don't get me wrong, it sounded OK, but it was just like my bass, but louder. Nothing special to write home about or get me excited.

I don't know how much usable power the thing really has, so you may be a bit underpowered, but if you use a preamp out of the head into a separate power amp, it would work fine.

Not my cup of tea if you're paying full-price and comparing it to the forementioned amps, but for $100 + tax, I'd say it's hard to beat.

• Members

my first bass amp was a pre-fender WM 4004. very reliable, and would take all kinds of bang-around. i only ended up getting a better amp because i couldn't get near the volume i needed with it, and clipping became a danger (blew a couple of speakers). yet, the tone options were very detailed. i did vastly improve the perceived volume of the amp when i put a sansamp rbi in front of it. if you can get it for $100, you might try it, but only if you have good PA support at your medium to large hard rock gigs. otherwise you're gonna get buried.

me, i'd spend a bit more now and go with the comparable GK amp. GK will get your volume and tone where you need it be on stage.

• Members

You're going to want louder for large rock gigs, unless there's good PA support.

But a 4004 with a full stack (410 and 115 or 810) could perceivably handle it I guess, if you've got good cabs.

I really dug the 4004 through a Triad. Sounded great. (Playin a Warwick Corvette)

Archived