Guitar amp head with a bass cab...will it work?

Noise...

• Members

Will pairing a guitar amp head with a bass cab work to play bass through, or will it just blow the guitar head?

I know the ohms would have to match and all that, but would doing this work without any risk to my guitar amp?

• Members

I know that - the guitar speakers can't handle the bass frequencies and basically blow.

So, if I were to get, say an Avatar cab and hook it up to my 100w guitar head, there is absolutely NO risk of destroying the amp head??

• Members

I know that - the guitar speakers can't handle the bass frequencies and basically blow.

So, if I were to get, say an Avatar cab and hook it up to my 100w guitar head, there is absolutely NO risk of destroying the amp head??

Nope. You'll be good. I run my 15-watt guitar head through my bass cab sometimes. Nasty bass at reasonable volumes. I will throw in my normal disclaimer of the guitar head may not be voiced to your liking for bass, but you won't destroy it. Or it might knock your socks off.

Dustin

• Moderators

I use to run a Marshall JCM600 60 watter through an avatar SB112. It works just fine as long as the speaker ohms are matched to what the head puts out.

• Members

What's it matter? You don't have a bass!

:D

Aren't you clever.

I plan on picking up an amp - or just a cab - with the bass soon. It'll be a Fender Standard Jazz Bass in arctic white. I'll get a tortoise shell pickguard as well.

Thanks for the info everyone!

:wave:

• Members

There is always some risk. You take a risk getting out of bed. The risk of amp destruction via bass vs guitar is the same. You basically blow.

• Members

Aren't you clever.

I plan on picking up an amp - or just a cab - with the bass soon. It'll be a Fender Standard Jazz Bass in arctic white. I'll get a tortoise shell pickguard as well.

Thanks for the info everyone!

:wave:

You must admit your quest for advice is getting a little amusing, if not ridiculous. You have like 5 pages on the front page asking the same things, then you start new threads asking more questions off of what your previous thread provided. And this has been going on for how long?

Surely you see the humor :lol:

• Members

I was always under the impression that a bass would blow a guitar head out.

No most guitar heads will not pick up low range as well as a bass head but using a bass through a guitar amp will not hurt it as long as it is hooked up to a bass cab.

Krank amps OTOH is the exception to the rule It has some awesome lows for a guitar amp.

Archived