Heavy Horses Appreciation Thread

• Members

just listened to it today after not hearing it for maybe 10 years...

holy crap! just fantastic...forgot how good glascock was on the bass, and its got to be barlow's best recording and overall only a couple of weak little moments...brilliant..

for those that have never heard it, or have always snubbed tull...give it a new chance...one of the finest albums of the 70's i think...

• Members

hmmm, an interesting viewpoint.

i may just do that if i find it at the library or something. i might say Songs From the Wood is a better record from that period of Tull. HH didn't do much for me at the time, but i had grown up during the heyday of Tull.

Passion Play is still my favorite record.

• Members

you know...i used to like songs better as well...i grew up at the tail end of tull, but my first big concert was the under wraps tour when i was 13. horses had not lodged in my head as something great, hence not listening to it for 10 years (or more). i saw it for 4 bucks at my local used store...glad i bought it.

i like the play as well...but to my mind it contains bits that represent tull's weaker moments...

i prefer the deeper bits of thick as a brick..

• Members

i prefer the deeper bits of thick as a brick..

i can't argue with that. Brick, i think, does hold up better as a piece.

i saw the War Child tour way back in the day.

i got bored when they stopped doing shows for the new record (probably around Stormwatch) and became a greatest hits outfit live.

• Members

the under wraps tour was all about under wraps, i'll tell you that...but the second (and last) time i saw them, it was a nostalgia act...a shame really

in fact, despite the fact that under wraps is maybe the most reviled album, but the most reviled band, in the history of rock...i still think its cool

• Members

Heavy Horses is definitely a cool album. I don't think it's their best, but possibly the best out of the "folkish threesome." (SFTW through Stormwatch):thu:

It's hard for me to name a favorite Tull album, because unfortunately, so many of them have a lot of filler. The exceptions are Thick As a Brick, Stand Up, Bursting Out, and maybe Broadsword. Everything after Broadsword is pretty much unlistenable for me, though, as Ian's voice was ruined from smoking.

• Members

very true that most have a lot of ballast...

i still think that there are a few nice gems after broadsword....she said she was a dancer, for instance

That song sounds like a pale Dire Straits imitation. Not good for a band of Tull's caliber. Plus, Ian's voice just went to total {censored} on that album.

• Members

Funny that you started this thread when you did - I didn't see it until today, yet last night, sitting around a campfire with friends, the song "Moths" came completely unbidden into my head. Some damn fine lyrics there, if you ask me.

Archived