Drum Software?

burdizzos

• Members

Say I wanted to create some drum loops for working on new songs what's a good program that will do it for me?

I'd like a good sized library or different types of drums.

I'd also like it to be fairly user friendly.

I'm running a PC with XP.

• Members

The good thing about FL is that it's easy. The bad thing is that the stock drum samples sound like ass. Pure, unadulterated ass.

So, if you can get a new pack of samples you should be good to go. But I wouldn't expect to be able to get any use out of it without said pack.

• Members

The good thing about FL is that it's easy. The bad thing is that the stock drum samples sound like ass. Pure, unadulterated ass.

So, if you can get a new pack of samples you should be good to go. But I wouldn't expect to be able to get any use out of it without said pack.

A lot of them do sound like {censored}. But depending on what you are going for (dance, techno, etc.) there are some really good sounds. I haven't found a snare, high hat opening, tambourine, or tuned toms I really like. Making a "rock" song is harder than a "dance" song with the packs SteveyDevey is talking about.

Yo.

• Members
A lot of them do sound like {censored}. But depending on what you are going for (dance, techno, etc.) there are some really good sounds. I haven't found a snare, high hat opening, tambourine, or tuned toms I really like. Making a "rock" song is harder than a "dance" song with the packs SteveyDevey is talking about.

Yo.

One caveat: I haven't tried anything newer than FL5, so they may have greatly improved things by now. Even for dance though, I wouldn't use most of the drums. Some of the kicks are ok, but once you get to the higher end with things like the hats they all sound like {censored} to me. But again, that's not necessarily still true on the new versions. I'll have to check that out; I did notice the other day that they were up to version 7 now.

• Members

One caveat: I haven't tried anything newer than FL5, so they may have greatly improved things by now.

Even for dance though, I wouldn't use most of the drums. Some of the kicks are ok, but once you get to the higher end with things like the hats they
all
sound like {censored} to me. But again, that's not necessarily still true on the new versions. I'll have to check that out; I did notice the other day that they were up to version 7 now.

I've got 5. I will agree with you, a lot of the samples sound like dog {censored} but I also like a handful of them.

Yo.

• Members

I use Fruity Loops with the Drumkit from Hell drum samples, which sound good.

I'm too stupid to use MIDI stuff and softsamplers.

Oh that is softsampling my friend. You're loading a sample into a software sampler and triggering it via MIDI.

I'm sticking with ezDrummer for this one.

• Members

Loops:Beta Monkey has tons cheap , they are ok , better then a crappy drum machine . Drums on Demand are excellent , I get a lot of use out of them , you may find you want/need the entire collection , very simple , just drag and drop . These have different file types , so it depends on what recording software you use , and 16 or 24 bit . I also use EZ drummer but you need 1 gig of space to store it and about 1 gig per every expansion pack you buy .This is a virtual instrument , works as a plug-in. But I am really dig'n it these days , as simple as drag and drop and even easier to write in beats , adding hits or cymbals just by using the pen tool in the piano roll window, lots of fills and modern sounds . You will probably need the expansion packs ;) also Drums on demand has "Downloadables" so go buy a couple "folders" of BPM for something like 5 or 6 bucks a shot , just get the correct file type .

• Members

If someone is not using recording software, are there any other benefits about using a VST drum machine? I am thinking about using Beatcraft, but mainly because it is not a VST plugin and I do not have to shell out extra for Cubase, Pro Tools, etc...

• Members

If someone is not using recording software, are there any other benefits about using a VST drum machine? I am thinking about using Beatcraft, but mainly because it is not a VST plugin and I do not have to shell out extra for Cubase, Pro Tools, etc...

Eh........ Mainly quantization templates (I think you bassists call it "groove", whatever the hell that is :confused:) from the MPCs, and well.... It's easier to build a beat on than playing a MIDI controller keyboard or clicking in events. Drummers will sometimes get an electric kit and use that for triggering. It can sound a lot more natural.

Beatcraft has a decent sequencer but even with swing functions and 64th note quantization, it's still going to sound robotic. Cubase, Pro Tools etc. can usually go to a much higher magnification (upwards of 1024ths) and provide you with a less gridlike feel.

• Members

Another thing to ponder, ASIO drivers only allow one program at a time to access soundcard ressources.

If you use a separate program for drums or soft synth, you won't be able to record or sequence it at the same time.

• Members

Another thing to ponder, ASIO drivers only allow one program at a time to access soundcard ressources.

If you use a separate program for drums or soft synth, you won't be able to record or sequence it at the same time.

I could be wrong, but I'd bet using a DAW app like audition with rewire hooking your drum software would still let you use ASIO, just passing sound from the drum app to it.

I'll have to try that...

Archived