OT: Advice on dealing with the BBB (Warning: a bit long)

Phantasm

• Members

Ok, if you're not ready to read a bit, you might want to move along now...

So, about 3 months ago I was informed that I am highly allergic to almost all grass. I had been having allergic reactions and a scratch test revealed that the most likely culprit that I have regular contact with would be the grass in my yard that I'm cutting myself and the shrubs in the front that I'm also allergic to.

The allergist told me that I should have someone else cut my grass, and I should not be home at all when it happens. Now, I've never paid anyone to cut my grass in my life - in fact, when I was a teenager, people paid ME to cut their grass and I made quite a profit doing that in the summertime. I am one of those guys that takes pride in having a decent looking lawn and knowing I did it myself.

I don't have a very big yard, so when people were quoting me $50 to cut/trim I thought that was a bit high. The most common response to that statement was "well, I've got enough business and I don't need you as a customer." After a few calls, we found a business that said they would cut the grass for $35.

The company said they would put us on their list but couldn't be out for another 2 weeks. We warned them that we had not cut the grass in a week already, and they said that was fine. When the company finally shows up, they tell us it will be $40 and not $35, which I didn't like because now the rules are changing. We were also told that there was a $2 "gas usage fee" since "gas is expensive."

We went ahead and paid $42 to have the grass cut. It took them 20 minutes. They shaved several spots in the front yard down to the dirt in the process, and this didn't make me very happy.

I called and spoke to the lady who runs the office and told her that they shaved my lawn. She replies, "would you like to be removed, from our schedule, sir?" I say "no, but you didn't do a very good job and I'd like a discount." She says "absoloutely not." She then says, "I would also like to warn you that if you talk negatively about our work, I am not afraid to retaliate against you."

I agree to let them cut the grass for one more week because we're going out of town. They shave spots in the backyard while we're gone.

My wife calls to ask them to cancel service. The woman treats her rudely and hangs up on her.

At this point I was going to let it go, but my wife decides we must file a complaint with the BBB. So, I go ahead and detail my issues in a complaint.

The company waits almost the entire 30 days and responds basically saying that we're total liars trying to shake her down for free service. However, even though we're total liars, she's voided our check from the second week of service and enclosed a photocopy of the void and she would like to consider the matter closed.

Now, here's the real issue... the BBB wants to know if I feel this issue is resolved. So, do I:

1) Take the money and let it go?

2) Speak with the BBB case worker and pursue it further?

3) Reply with another letter saying that I'm not happy because they are not telling the truth, with examples from her response?

I'm just not sure that fighting it will make a difference because I'm not sure how the BBB works. If I decline the refund and pay her the $42 but leave the issue "unresolved" does a complaint go on file? Can other people publicly see it?

Am I being unreasonable?

Is anyone still reading this? :p

I look forward to all useful comments...

• Members

What do you want to accomplish or reslove?

a) just have the complaint on file?

b) want to pursue some legal action?

Really not much the BBB can do except enter the complaint in their records.

I suppose they could have other complaints on file and add yours also, till the BBB drops them i guess. :idk:

• Members

What do you want to accomplish or reslove?

a) just have the complaint on file?

b) want to pursue some legal action?

Really not much the BBB can do except enter the complaint in their records.

I suppose they could have other complaints on file and add yours also, till the BBB drops them i guess.
:idk:

I'm not looking to sue anyone, but the idea of having a public complaint out there is appealing. (I think they stay out there for 7 years?)

I just feel like they're saying "he's a liar, but we'll pay him off to shut up." By accepting the money, i feel like i'm acknowledging that they're right, which they aren't.

• Members

The BBB really doesn't 'DO' anything, people can see your complaints, and you as a consumer who has posted a complaint should letothers know if te company worked with you... it's a good way to stick it to the company, but there are so many bogus complaints that it's not funny.

I used to work for a company that did business through a telephone contract, the customer gave the reps their bank account info and authorised certain charges to be taken from their account for certain fees... needless to say that even after explaining everything over the phone (and in writing, the customer had the details in their hands before they called us) there are an exorbetant amount of complaints about the company 'stealing' money from people... they didn't read the contract, they agreed to everything taht was explained (which was the entire contract) and then forgot about it...

So screw the BBB, if the company doesn't pay to be amember they don't look into whether or not the complaints are real, they take the word of ignorant people who should know better.. just my opinion....

• Members

I just feel like they're saying "he's a liar, but we'll pay him off to shut up." By accepting the money, i feel like i'm acknowledging that they're right, which they aren't.

Then see it through to the end.

It seems like they screwed up, and also treated you and your spouse badly-two things that would never fly in my book.

• Members

Lifes too short. Are you kidding me? They refunded your money. Take it and move on. This reminds me way too much of "When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong". You can't fight everyone else's battles too. You have your money, spend it on somebody else and let it go.

• Members

I was hoping this was going to be a thread about dealing with boogiebassbill.
:(

:D Post of the thread!

Screw them. You got your money back. Pay some kid $20 to do it for you now. He'll appreciate the money more than those wankers. Just let it be.

• Members

She then says, "I would also like to warn you that if you talk negatively about our work, I am not afraid to retaliate against you."

everything else aside if anyone that i was paying to do a job talked to my wife (or myself)this way i would bust my ass to put them out of business on principal alone.

this shows two things:

1: they've had the same problems before

2: they are completely unprofessional.

screw 'em - money ain't everything.

• Members

I used to have real bad allergies. I got sick of prescriptions and started reading about allergies and the immune system. I started taking vitamins and the symptoms got better. I then discovered two natural things that almost rid me of symptoms, i.e., quercitin and nettle. Quercitin is in everything from fruits and vegetables. Stining nettle is also a plant. Both prohibit histamines from forming.

Oh, and just cash the check.

• Members

Honestly dude, give it up. Just don't do business with them period. I bet the business isn't even profiting 10 bucks after paying employees and what not. You're not doing them a favor by paying full price and they're not doing you any favors by doing a shoddy job in your eyes, just move on and don't cause your own trouble.

• Members

Thanks everyone for the replies. It looks like most people had a let it go attitude, and that's probably the stance that I'll adopt.

It does make me sad that although I love where I live, it's becoming too expensive to live here and I expect too much for my money. Pre-Hurricane, I'd have had about 50 people lining up to cut my grass for $25 and now it's $40-$50 to have someone do a poor job!

By and large day to day life here has increased in cost about 10-20% and has doubled (or tripled) for ANY labor/service, especially involving construction. And that's IF you can get someone to show up.

I have been using a mask and cutting the grass myself with pants. It sucks with 100% humidity and we're not in August, but at least I do a good job. I've been putting the $42 per week on the side so that we can make a positive out if it and use the money to do something fun instead!

• Members

Stick it out. Its getting better down here. On the other hand, that is a good sign - could mean there isn't as much poor if those jobs are hard to fill. Our lease just ended that was a $1500 gouger signed right after the storm at Jeff/Magazine b/c we had to come back for my wife's job and there was nothing. We are moving this weekend into a very similar place at St. Charles and Short for $950.

Its getting better, its getting cheaper. Just bear with it.

Where do you live in the city?

• Members
Now, here's the real issue... the BBB wants to know if I feel this issue is resolved. So, do I:

1) Take the money and let it go?

2) Speak with the BBB case worker and pursue it further?

3) Reply with another letter saying that I'm not happy because they are not telling the truth, with examples from her response?

I'm just not sure that fighting it will make a difference because I'm not sure how the BBB works. If I decline the refund and pay her the $42 but leave the issue "unresolved" does a complaint go on file? Can other people publicly see it?

Am I being unreasonable?

Is anyone still reading this?
:p

I look forward to all useful comments...

Try the series of allergy shots and do it yourself. Wear a respirator. My $0.02.

Archived