Guitard Content: Brought the LP home!

Teleken

• Members

Been so busy playing I haven't bothered polishing it or changing the strings yet, let alone take pics. Feel free to question its existence until I post pics in this thread later tonight.

Man, minibuckers are the {censored}! Love 'em. About 85% of the output of a Gibson 498, but the bite is so much better. Good enough for Pete, good enough for me.

Now given that Gibson gets about 1 out of every 50 right, I'll submit this one's good one. Weight is under 8 pounds, clearly "weight relieved" (translation - there's routing in the mahogany under the maple cap), sustain for days and the neck is perfect - 60s profile, not to skinny, not too fat.

I've been wanting a goldtop Les Paul for about 10 years now and bought LOTS of guitars I thought would be "good enough." None were. Been through PRS, been through Epi, and about every other decent guitar I thought would do the job. I should have spent the (in retrospect, a pittance) $1600 the first time. This one's one 1 out of 400, with the custom case (Who cares?) and the headstock binding (Nice touch!)

Here's a stock photo to fill the gap until I can shoot some pics of mine:

472283.jpg

• Members

Love the mini humbuckers. The ones one my '68 SG just
scream
. The guitarist I used to play with called them "volcanic".

:thu:

You know, even though I had some reservations about them at first, (you know, the whole "real Les Pauls have PAFs thing...), I remembered how much I loved hearing Pete on "The Kids Are Alright" and the tone he got. Years later, I watched Wil Owsley playing a goldtop Deluxe through a AC30 and loving that tone too. After hearing this one through my Genz Benz, I couldn't say no.

• Members

You know, even though I had some reservations about them at first, (you know, the whole "real Les Pauls have PAFs thing...), I remembered how much I loved hearing Pete on "The Kids Are Alright" and the tone he got. Years later, I watched Wil Owsley playing a goldtop Deluxe through a AC30 and loving that tone too. After hearing this one through my Genz Benz, I couldn't say no.

Yeah, it's a different sound than full size humbuckers, different than P90s, too. More 'bite' than either. Not that they're really particularly "hot" pickups, just a very incisive tone. Like an icepick, but not at all like a single coil (not twangy).

• Members

You. Suck.

How do you think I got the $1600?!? ;)

Dude, I thought for sure you would have had one by now - certainly not gloating, just happy. Make buds with the manager at your local GC - a friend of mine who spends a lot of money at ours just scored a mint '06 Standard with a '60s neck and a nicely flamed top for $1250 out the door - it came in on trade.

• Members
How do you think I got the $1600?!?
;)

Dude, I thought for sure you would have had one by now - certainly not gloating, just happy. Make buds with the manager at your local GC - a friend of mine who spends a lot of money at ours just scored a mint '06 Standard with a '60s neck and a nicely flamed top for $1250 out the door - it came in on trade.

I would have one by now, but I took up photography and I have spent several thousands on photo equipment and all the trappings that accompany it.I don't need a fancy guitar right now, anyway. My $350 Ibanez I got in 2000 has the same six strings a Paul would - the weakest link of my whole rig is still me. :)Some day, though, some day...

Archived