Questions about Harry Potter Pt. 7 (SPOILERS INSIDE!)

Taustin Powers

• Members

DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED THE BOOK!

SERIOUSLY, IT WILL RUIN IT FOR YOU!

Just finished it, and I thought it was really good. I liked the ending, too, and I am glad my theory about Snape was confirmed. Great character! And the last chapter was very touching. :)

One thing I didn't quite catch though.....

Neville apparently kills Nagini with the Sword of Gryffindor (sp?).....how did he get it? Last time it had been mentioned, some goblin took off with it?

Also, just wanna make sure I got the whole "souls" and "blood" part right... When Voldemort casts the killing spell, the small part of Harry's soul that is actually Voldemort's dies? But Harry's part doesn't, cause his Mom's spell is still living through Voldemort, protecting his soul? But, with Voldemort's part of the soul destroyed (was that the wimpering thing at King's Cross??), he was not an active Horcrux anymore?

Or did the fact that Harry was actually the wand's master the reason why it didn't kill him?

Or both?

:confused:

• Members

Also, just wanna make sure I got the whole "souls" and "blood" part right... When Voldemort casts the killing spell, the small part of Harry's soul that is actually Voldemort's dies? But Harry's part doesn't, cause his Mom's spell is still living through Voldemort, protecting
his
soul? But, with Voldemort's part of the soul destroyed (was that the wimpering thing at King's Cross??), he was not an active Horcrux anymore?

Or did the fact that Harry was actually the wand's master the reason why it didn't kill him?

Or both?

:confused:

I was also guessing that Snape had killed Dumbledore at D's request. And that Harry would get Ginny as well as Ron an Hermione ending up together.. I was surprised at the number of deaths though. It was a pretty dark book.

My view is that the wimpering thing at KC was the part of Harry that was also part of Voldemort. Harry had it in him since that first night he survived. Trying to help everyone, but also to help himself. It was the greedy part of him that had overtaken Voldemort. It was the piece of dying soul that had been killed with the killing curse. And yes Harry was saved because of love. You can not break a bond of love even through death and Voldemort understimated that fact and thought that it would only help Harry survive the first time when he was a baby.

• Members

Ah yes, makes sense.

Another question, about the very last chapter:

Who were Hugo and Rose named after? It's been quite awhile since I read the earlier books, and I can't place those names...

i honestly don't remember a hugo and rose from th others i think maybe they're just new names not memorials

• Members

i enjoyed the book, allthough i wish she had elaborated upon what the veil in the department of mysteries was, and what the three times neville and harry's parents had defied voldemort were, as specififed by the prophecy.

I thought all the stuff in godric's hollow was pretty cool, and i really liked lee jordan's radio show. I was mad pissed that fred weasly died though

• Members

Neville apparently kills Nagini with the Sword of Gryffindor (sp?).....how did he get it? Last time it had been mentioned, some goblin took off with it?

Remember back in book 2 when the sword appeared for Harry? I think Dumbledore explained it something like "Only a TRUE Griffendor can pull the sword from the hat" or something of the like. Doesn't matter where it was (like in the hands of a greedy goblin), the person who needs it and who's intentions are true, can summon it forth, even without calling for it specifically.

As far as the whole 'wimpering thing in KC Station", well, I'm still not too sure about that. I just finished the book and will need to give it some more time to brew and may have to go read the last 1/4 of the book again.

• Members

Not just summon it forth - summon it from the sorting hat ... er, cap, whichever it is. Which, remember, was on Neville's head. Remember the argument that the Sword wasn't Dumbledore's to give away, that it belonged to the school? Well, as much as Harry was annoyed at that, I think it was correct, and that's why the hat could still bring it to Neville's aid. It wasn't Dumbledore's, so it wasn't Harry's to give away to the goblin.

I think the maimed thing in the train station was all the parts of Voldemort's soul that had died so far - all the Horcruxes that had been destroyed to date.

• Members

I was assuming that only a true Gryffindor would be able to pull the sword out of the hat, and by standing up to Voldemort, Neville had shown that he was a true Gryffindor and thereby able to do what Harry had once done in the Chamber of Secrets.

The wimpering thing at King's Cross was the part of Voldemort's soul that was in Harry as the Horcrux. Voldemort's killing curse essentially sent Harry to the edge of death (King's Cross). When Harry decided to go back he left the wimpering thing behind, thereby killing the horcrux without killing Harry himself.

I don't think Harry being the real master of the wand really came into play until the final duel. That is why Harry's disarming spell was able to not only disarm, but also reflect Voldemort's own killing curse back at him. In the end, he Voldemort killed himself, once by killing the horcrux portion of Harry the first time, and the second time, with his own killing curse.

Of course, this is all just my best guess . . .

Archived