What basses would you guys recommend in the $300 - $500 range?

bubbleboyjones

• Members

I'm a guitarist but the bassest in my band is looking to buy a new bass. He has a POS Ibanez right now that on its last legs so to speak

Anyway I'm looking at a price range of $300 - $500 for a 4 string bass. Type of music is rock/indie/ a little bluesgrass..... Rolling Stones, Dylan, Clash ...etc.

So off the top of my head the Fender Standard Jazz Bass and Fender Standard Precision Bass come to mind as obvious choices. What about some other brands...Schecter, Yamaha? Any really good bang for buck brands? :love:

• Members

ESP LTD, Schecter. New or used. Or best other used one you can find. Some of the $400-500 Ibanez's are also good choices. Also watch for specials, and clearance deals online at major internet stores. Keep in mind the budget also needs to allow for case or good gigbag, and perhaps strings if you have fave string brand and gauge.

• Members

I did....he wants to know what are the best basses in the $300 - $500 range. Hence this thread.

Firstly, if you ask 10 bassists what the best bass is, you'll get 12 different answers. It doesn't matter what the price range is.

IMO, It's kind of hard to go wrong in that price range. There are some basses that are subjectively "better" than others, but I'd say the majority of the stuff between 3 and 5 Bens is going to be on par or better.

I think it's important that he first gets an idea of what type of sound and feel he likes. Narrow that down to 3 or 4 basses that he's really digging on... then come back and ask us which is "better".

That's really the only way he's going to end up with a bass he's happy with. If he goes out scouting for one or two brands right now... he'll pass up some quaility instruments that he may have really liked.

And don't ever buy on your first trip out. You really have to try a bunch out to get a feel for what you like and what you don't.

• Members

the Squier that isn't a Squier . . . the Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass:

416354.jpg

Great reviews all around; versatile enough; $279

That might leave enough dough to get a Preamp (he will, soon enough, need one)

• Members

If you get lucky you might find a G&L SB2 for around 550.00. I know it's top of the budget but they kick the crap out of half the basses currently produced.

Dan

+1

Yeah, and I forgot to thank you for your encouragement, I love my JB2! Google G&L. Someone posted a craigslist ASAT at 600.00 recently too.

• Members

The Yamaha BB614 I played was f'n sweet.

I got myself the BB414, thought it sounded better than the active 614. Plus it had a nicer finish. I did try several though and a few had pretty bad problems with dead spots so definitely try before buying. The build quality is flawless.

• Members

the Squier that isn't a Squier . . . the Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass:

416354.jpg

Great reviews all around; versatile enough; $279

That might leave enough dough to get a Preamp (he will, soon enough, need one)

For the music you described, I'd recommend that guy or the precision vintage modified:

416352.jpg

Oh yeah, the Precision's only $250.

Archived