Makes of Bass found mainly in the USA.

unclebill98

• Members

Hi all,

I am heading to the States and I am looking at picking up a new/2nd bass. Now I know the Fenders and MM and Warwicks are all fairly known over this side of the pond.

But Last time I was there I am sure I missed out on some savage gear due to lack of knowledge.

I am looking at getting another MusicMan Stingray, Sterling or Bongo but I'd like to maybe get something else while I have the chance....

Thoughts please...

• Moderators

Kindness

I am diging the lackland with the 2 dark stars:love:

how about a sound clip:thu:

Good idea. I don't have any yet, but will be setting up my recording gear and will be able to upload some once I get internet at my house later this week.

• Members

Good idea. I don't have any yet, but will be setting up my recording gear and will be able to upload some once I get internet at my house later this week.

Cool

I will be looking forward to hear it

I Imagine it sounds Nice and PHAT:thu:

• Members

spector

mtd

ken smith

lakland

sadowsky

g&l

out of the above, I'd say spector and g&l are the most 'savage' soundwise, well suited to forward rock tones

the others deliver more classic, fundamental bass tones to my ears with a midrange bias and character that varies with each mfgr, pup config, etc

they're ALL great sounds and instruments, just comes down to preference

ps - can you bring a wal for me when you visit? :)

• Members

I'm just echoing what others have said, but I like the Laklands:

IMG_7775.jpg

Kindness, can you tell me what makes that bass a better P than an original? I'm sure they're different, but I've never had the opportunity to pick up a Lakland...I have a '78 P, and am very familiar with its idiosyncrasies and its quirks, how would that Lakland be better?

{edit} Don't take my question wrong, it was asked with no attitude at all, I'm just very curious, and don't have any Laklands available anywhere nearby...or the time right now to go looking...

• Members

Does it have to be NORTH America?

CoughMIMcough

There is more than one country in North America. There is one above, and one below the US. There are different opinions about what other countries and territories are North America, but you get my drift!

A MIM is still a north american product :p

• Moderators

Kindness, can you tell me what makes that bass a better P than an original? I'm sure they're different, but I've never had the opportunity to pick up a Lakland...I have a '78 P, and am very familiar with its idiosyncrasies and its quirks, how would that Lakland be better?

{edit} Don't take my question wrong, it was asked with no attitude at all, I'm just very curious, and don't have any Laklands available anywhere nearby...or the time right now to go looking...

I didn't take your question wrong, it's a completely fair question. The advantages of the Lakland from my perspective are (1) the oil finished neck feels so much nicer to me than any gloss neck (2) the fretwork is immaculate (3) it isn't 40+ years old and (4) I can walk into the shop or get Dan, Brian, Karl, etc. on the phone anytime I need anything from Lakland.

However, there are more similarities than dissimilarities between Lakland and Fender, so I have love for both brands of basses. See:

IMG_7765.jpg

Archived