For Those With Knowledge of Building Cabs...

chubrocker

• Members

OK, here is my idea on the cab I want to build for my GK800RB. My question is two-fold: 1) dimensions and 2) speaker choice.

I'm wanting this to be a small compact cab used mainly for home personal use with some use in a live setting (church mainly, some live jamming). The dimensions are based slightly upon Schroeder's 1210. 24" W X 16" T X 16" D. I researched cabs similar to this design that I like vs. using a program (which I don't know how to use either). Speakers on the side are 1.5" from side with 12" being 2" from top and bottom and top of the 8" being 2" from the top.

Each speaker will be wired separately so I can bi-amp the GK. I'm considering Eminence Beta--particularly Beta 8A for the 8". I need a 12" speaker that will reproduce a Low B string well. Kappa 12? Delta Pro 12?

anyhoo, here's the design. Concerns? Advise?

speakerplans.jpg

• Members

Maybe a Kappalite 3015 (15"), a 10" and a 6" mid driver (with the 100w highs going to the 10/6)?

Failing that I'd see if you can order a Neox 12" speaker from Genz Benz. They might hook ya up. who knows :)

qualifier: I know little about building cabs, but I did really dig the SWR Triad's sound (15/10). The kappalite 3015 gets very good reviews around here. For the size of your cab you'd want to run some of those winisd things against the speakers I'd guess - eminence posts all the relative specs of their speakers.

• Members

If you want a 12" driver, the Eminence Deltalite 2512 is a good sounding speaker.

Check the Speaker Building FAQ for some good information.

Using WinISD, I'm seeing that a Deltalite 2512 II in a 2.7 cubic foot box, which is what your dimensions yield when using 3/4" plywood, will do pretty well.

Add a pair of 2" diameter ports, 3" long and you'll be good to go.

As for the high frequency driver, The Eminence Alpha 8 MRA will work well as a midrange if you use a crossover set at around 500 Hz.

Personally, I'd go for a Galaxy Audio 5" Neo driver, it has a better high end response.

• Members

How's the power handling/volume? Can you really crank the midrange through that driver?

My big cab is loaded with two Delta 12 LFs and a pair of standard magnet Galaxy 5" drivers. I've had that for several years and at one point I was driving it with a Sunn 1200s, which gave the cab 800 watts. I used to run a bit of overdrive and those drivers always sounded good and have never given me an ounce of trouble.

• Moderators

Cool. I don't know if you know, but I am thinking about building a cab using a Kappalite 3015LF. I was thinking of using the Alpha 8MRA and no tweeter (my Acme's take care of the full range duties when needed). I am open to any suggestions if you think the Galaxy is better, I'll definitely give it a try.

• Members

I've never heard the 8MRA, so I really can't speculate. I know the Galaxy sounds good, but that's about as much info as I can give you.

The 8MRA's usable frequency response is only out to 8 kHz. That will probably sound pretty good, but I think the Galaxy goes out to beyond 15 kHz.

You could just make a 3-way cab with a Kappalite 15, the 8MRA and a couple of titanium domed tweeters on an L-pad.

• Moderators

You might want to put a fixed L-pad on the 8MRA. Its sensitivity between 500 and 6000 Hz averages around 103 dB. That will make the cab quack more than it barks.

Sorry for the technical explanation.
;)

The more technical the better. Especially when it's time for me to build the crossovers. I know most of this speaker stuff in theory, but have ZERO hands on experience so far.

• Members

The more technical the better. Especially when it's time for me to build the crossovers. I know most of this speaker stuff in theory, but have ZERO hands on experience so far.

If you can solder, you can build the crossover, that is stupid easy.

A standard 500ish Hz12 dB slope high pass on the MRA with a 3 dB fixed L-pad.

Two of these in series with the MRA after the crossover and one of these in parallel. Boom, -3 dB!

Archived