how often do you play?

wilki29

• Members

I usually wonder around the house bored and every half hour or so ill pick the bass up and play it for half hour or an hour. id say 2-5 hours a day. I used to play a lot more when i had an eden half stack, it was great. Now i don't have an amp so i have to play harder, but i guess its better practice :thu:

• Members

Bass gets most of my time. I practice/play about five hours a day. Add in the 3+ hours for a show a few times a week and the 30 minute warm-up before any performance.

I've really got to get disciplined and practice more; divide time between upright and electric more evenly.

edit: ^ that is when I'm at home. Out of town, I'm lucky if I get the 30 minute warmup :(

• Members

Never enough. Generally 2-3x weekly, for perhaps an hour each time.

Gotta distribute the 'free' time between bass, fretless bass, drums, keys, guitar, volleyball, lawn/home maintenance, etc. But I feel like I'm forgetting something.....

uhhh......

OH YEAH - THE WIFE! She needs some of my time too :D

• Members

1 hour and 15 min. every day. Probably not enough, but wife and kids need me too. I would love to hear from some of the experienced players what if any schedule they use. I prefer about 20 minutes of scales then the practice some old songs/ learn some new and final 20 minutes free jam with a drum machine.

• Members

Ive never played for 5 hours at one time. I like to be active, and after a certain point I get tired and sloppy. I mean if you can keep it up by all means go for it, but it just aint for me. 30 to an hour is all I need

• Moderators

Sometimes an hour, sometimes a lot less about 3 days a week. This consists of learning new songs and going over old. Occasionally I get to the woodshed. I'm with T Alan here. Time isn't there as much as I would like these days. However in the past . . . . . I played 'til my fingers bled. It was summer of '69.

• Members

At least 30 minutes three or four nights a week, more if we actually get together and play on Sundays.

I read an old interview with Mike Dirnt and he said you should always at least noddle around, so I keep a bass nearby, so I can fool around while I'm watching Sports Center...

• Members

I average three hours a day, every day, more if I can help it, less if I can't manage it, but I make the time up eventually. :)

EDIT:

As for what I do... I play until I'm limber. I then work on fretting hand finger independence until my forearm is tired. I usually just take a bass swing walk in G and walk it, using each finger up and down, up and down, then in reverse, then with a minor on the off beat, etc until I get tired. I then proceed to mess around with tones. After I recover some, I practice on the few fragmented solo pieces I've composed for as long as I feel like it. If it's a long while, I may end my practice with that, if it's a short time, I wank around some more. I love playing, and I've recently learned to love practicing. :p

• Moderators

Hey Kindness, what would your schedule be if you had an hour to practice everyday?

Most of the time would be spent on the double bass, which takes a lot more time for me to develop my bow technique in unison with my left hand technique and sight reading skills. However, I'll take your question as more of what would my routine be for one hour of practice on the electric bass. Here is an idea off the top of my head:

-5 minutes of warm ups and stretching.

-10 minutes playing/writing the newest basslines in my current gigging/recording repetoire.

-10 minutes playing the more difficult basslines in my current gigging/recording repetoire.

-10 minutes advancing my understanding of theory and application to the instrument (scales, arpeggios, substitutions, counterpoint, etc.)

-10 minutes of analysis of existing musical pieces, including all instrumentation - especially the drums for application to my own writing.

-10 minutes of groove oriented improv playing with a drum machine.

-5 minutes of cool down and stretching.

If all of the gigging/recording material was rock solid, I would substitute some time in to learn new techniques.

Archived