Help for short fingers

brotherbass

• Members

just practice. I have short, stubby fingers too. My range is a little better but mostly I've adapted my technique to be more comfortable so I don't put any unnecessary strain on my wrist. I recommend the same, unless of course you're under 17 and have more growing to do!

• Members

Thanks to both, at 35 I think that I am all done with the growing. I jump, but keep getting a "plunk" sound and not the smooth transition I was looking for. A buddy said that he used to have blocks that were placed between your fingers that helped. Since I am not into pain, I was wondering if any exercises were available.

• Members

I don't know what your Ibanez and Peavey are like size wise but you could always get a girl's bass like my laughable
:lol:
(but playable) Bass Collection shambles
:rolleyes:

Peavey is a beast, Ibanez is light--I wonder if a better bass would improve my range. My Ibby has a huge gap between strings and fret brd. Any thoughts?

• Members

if I were playing chords I could see the need to be able to stretch my fingers out more, however I don't play many chords on my bass with the exception of arpeggios.

it is all about speed and accuracy for me.

Very well said. I am trying to get into chords, and still working on the speed/

• Members

I can do six frets if I need to. I started out fretting with one finger, though. :D

I say practice stretching tons. Four frets is really all the reach you need in most cases, but if you REALLY want to be able to reach, get a reduced scale bass. :)

Oh, and have your basses set up properly. That has TONS to do with playability. :D

Archived