Hey all you recording guys!

RockBass

• Members

What type of reverb do you add to a vocalist's track? I'm narrowing it down with a small plate, but it's still a bit too much.

Again, I know that this is a bass forum, but you guys are a ton more helpful than the recording forum, plus I trust you all a hell of a lot more.

• Members

What type of reverb do you add to a vocalist's track? I'm narrowing it down with a small plate, but it's still a bit too much.

Again, I know that this is a bass forum, but you guys are a ton more helpful than the recording forum, plus I trust you all a hell of a lot more.

are you adding the effect after you record or while you are recording?

• Members

vocals: RECORD DRY. add effects to the track. basic rule of recording. you do NOT want to record vocals directly through the 'verb.

as for vocals, use a vocal plate. nothing with a sharp gate, should be like a warm room reverb, and add a very slight touch of delay with minimal repetition on the delay.

• Members

The most important thing is for the track to be bone dry. When mixing, you've got any number of options...including bone dry. I usually wind up with either a ambient "room" sound or delays of varying lengths... frequently a very tight one and a much longer audible one that can be used as discretion dictates. I like changing up the sound throughout a track to keep it interesting unless you're going for some definite old school vibe.

• Members

That, or use your ears.
:)

I always suggest starting with numbers when possible, because when you're just starting out in recording "using your ears" isn't that useful. You obviously don't know what to listen for yet...

• Members

Thanks

After the recording, so we have a nice clean track to work with.

venturewest pretty much answered for me.

vocals: RECORD DRY. add effects to the track. basic rule of recording. you do NOT want to record vocals directly through the 'verb.

as for vocals, use a vocal plate. nothing with a sharp gate, should be like a warm room reverb, and add a very slight touch of delay with minimal repetition on the delay.

• Members

I use a plate too, usually. But I also use a hall verb a lot of times as well, to try and put everyone in the same sonic space. Just a touch of it, really...like, if you can hear it, it's too much.

But I don't think I really know that much about it, so take it with a grain of salt.

• Members

since you guys are talking about recording I'll add this question..

If I want to record distorted guitar.. should I also record dry then add distortion from the recording program or record it on my XXL's Ultra channel?

in my feeling, i'd record it distorted. the difference from the vocals is, the distortion on the guitar changes its preamp quality - sustain, harmonic, etc. try recording it dry then add a distortion post-recording. you'll see it doesn't sound at all like you want it to. i run my guitar though a boss metal-zone pedal and a chorus, then into the channel; post send through a delay and (if needed) a small room reverb.

• Members

since you guys are talking about recording I'll add this question..

If I want to record distorted guitar.. should I also record dry then add distortion from the recording program or record it on my XXL's Ultra channel?

You might want to try layering both of them so that you get the sounds you hear (as in the distorted chanel) and then you get the clarity of the clean signal.

Also for the vocals, +1 for recording clean. you might want to copy it and then paste it miliseconds after, to give a sort of double layered effects, you can add a slight pitch shift maybe 1-3 cents and add some reverb to that too it may greatly improve the sound.

• Members

You might want to try layering both of them so that you get the sounds you hear (as in the distorted chanel) and then you get the clarity of the clean signal.

Also for the vocals, +1 for recording clean. you might want to copy it and then paste it miliseconds after, to give a sort of double layered effects, you can add a slight pitch shift maybe 1-3 cents and add some reverb to that too it may greatly improve the sound.

great idea with the layered guitar. use a split, record one channel clean, the other through the distortion.

as for the vocals, that's an interesting idea - but couldn't you just use a very minimal chorus or doubler? less complicated and the same result in the long run. i always add a touch of chorus onto my vocals, mostly because i'm not a strong singer and it makes it sound fatter - and more in tune!

• Members

I like short reerbs, not too much effects on recordings, it's easy to over do it. My drummer has put some delay on our vocals for our demo... we usually have some n when we play live, but it's easy to go haywire with the effects..

I prefer to use my ears, numbers may be a good start, but they are far from art....

Archived