Can I use my Mesa/Boogie Quad as a Bass Pre?

Awake77

• Members

Hello Bassists!:)

Guitar is my main instrument, but I dabble with bass as well. Generally just going through my Boss GS-10 or some VST's to practice.

Well, it looks like Im going to get a gig as a bass player for a local cover band so its time for me to get a real live rig...I have some nice guitar equipment I was thinking that, with an outboard EQ, might sound excellent and keep me from spending too much money...

I have a MesaBoogie Quad guitar preamp, along with a Peavey Classic 50/50 power amp (100W tube power amp w/EL84s). I was think an old parametric EQ like a Rane PE15 might work well to adjust the frequencies needed for bass...I just picked up a ElectroVoice bass cab as well...not sure the model but it has 1 15" driver and a 6.5" Midrange, it sounded excellent at the store through an old Carvin ProBass II head.

I havent tried the rig yet because I need to retube the Peavey - was hoping to get some input before I plunk down money for an EQ...

Do you guys think that the Quad, with an outboard EQ (~$80 or so out of pocket) would work well

Or am I better off getting an old but decent bass head, like an old Carvin or Peavey?

Im trying to spend as little $$ as possible, but still have a good sound.

Thanks!

A77

• Members

A good option might be to get a pre amp for your peavey 50/50. You could probably get by with a Sansamp BDDI if you wanna keep your expenses to a minimum.

Do you have a bass cab? you are going to want to avoid playing through your guitar cabs at any thing above a bedroom volume.

• Members

Yeah, I just picked up an Electrovoice bass cab - its a ported 1x15 with a separate 6.5" midrange driver.

The Sansamp BDDI:) Im kicking myself because I just sold mine 2 months ago! :)

If the gig takes off and we're playing a lot of shows, Id definitely plunk down the cash for a nice bass pre or head...this is something just for the interim.

• Members

dood.... those 100 watts are "TUBE WATTS"

That amp is freakin' loud as hell guys...I know bass takes more energy to push but when I use that thing with my guitar I only use one side (50W) and cant go past ~6 without drowning out the whole band with my 4x12.

Granted the new cab has 2 drivers, but I can also run the amp in bridged mono if need be.

If that wont be enough - can you guys think of a decent, used bass head for under $200?

• Members

That amp is freakin' loud as hell guys...I know bass takes more energy to push but when I use that thing with my guitar I only use one side (50W) and cant go past ~6 without drowning out the whole band with my 4x12.

Granted the new cab has 2 drivers, but I can also run the amp in bridged mono if need be.

If that wont be enough - can you guys think of a decent, used bass head for under $200?

You could find older high powered peaveys for around that.

kilowatt, firebass.etc.

• Members

the 100Watt Peavey all tube head will work good until you can save up for a good bass head. The preamp will work fine as well for now.

you have already taken care of the most important part by getting a bass cab

Thanks Rougetitan - that's what I was hoping. I also have a 1400W Crate SPA1400 solid state power amp laying around - so the power is there if I need it. The Peavey just sounds a heck of a lot better though, at least with a guitar.

• Members

Thanks Rougetitan - that's what I was hoping. I also have a 1400W Crate SPA1400 solid state power amp laying around - so the power is there if I need it. The Peavey just sounds a heck of a lot better though, at least with a guitar.

with that kind of power you could do a reasonably large venue.

• Members

I got it all hooked up last night, with a 31 band Peavey Q1311 that I picked up for $50 used. Have to sort out a ground hum issue, but it sounds pretty good IMO.

The EQ was a big part in bringing up the low end that the guitar pre didnt have access too. The tone controls on the Quad actually added a nice bit of growl to the tone...

Archived