am i the only musician on earth that doesn't care about pricy instruments?

Guttermouth

• Members

i think there's something to be said for the whole mental aspect of it though. i've had instruments that i felt were too expensive to gig with for fear of damage or theft and they always end up sitting in the case in the closet.

i personally just can't gig with an instrument that costs as much as a used car and be comfortable doing so.the whole "if i damage this i'll take a 1500.00 hit on the value" thing is just too disconcerting to me.

Eh, you get over that. :lol:

• Members

Must be nice to not have money be an issue in your life!

All of my basses run from $180 to $3500. I bought each one because there was something special about it. Price wasn't an issue.

$3500 for a bass?? Try as I might, I could never justify that to myself. I'd feel like a complete fool knowing in my intellect that somewhere out there is a bass that can do exactly the same thing for less than 20% of that price.

• Members

Must be nice to not have money be an issue in your life!

$3500 for a bass?? Try as I might, I could never justify that to myself. I'd feel like a complete fool knowing in my intellect that somewhere out there is a bass that can do exactly the same thing for less than 20% of that price.

Well, he DID say, he's got a bass at $180.

Bass guitars are tools of the trade. Sure a Craftsman wrench will do the job, but while your in the waiting room, wouldn't you feel better knowing that the guy is using a pneumatic outfit on your car? At least you would if your the shop owner getting 10x the jobs done at the end of the day.

I pick my $120 Essex over my $1500 fretless 'Ray when I want a P instead of a fretless sound and feel. My next bass will likely be a fretless 6. If the Bongo doesn't cut it for me, then I'll be laying out the dollars to get the right tool for me.

• Members

It's silly to put any importance on playing an instrument just because it's expensive, or it's cheap. I'll spend whatever is necessary to get exactly what I want on a tool that I use every day, often for hours on end, and will pay for it self.

Play whatever you want.

Agreed 100%... I let the playing and sound do the talking, not a label...

- georgestrings

• Members

Those Squier vintage modified basses are a whole lotta bass for not too much $. I will have one.

I bought a clean, used one for $150, slapped a set of Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pups wired in series, and it's a great sounding, playing, and looking bass for under $250 total...

- georgestrings

Archived