am i the only musician on earth that doesn't care about pricy instruments?

Guttermouth

• Members

i was looking around at various instrument online today whilst eating lunch and came to the realization that all the things i gas for are relatively cheap.

i could care less if i ever own another stringed instrument thats> 1000 bucks.

the things i'm gassing for most in the world at the moment is a mid 80's foundation with super ferrites.

am i just crazy???

• Members

Currently, I would like to have a 5 or 6 string fretless warwick of some sort, but I'm really tempted by this fretless 6 Brice with a spalted top.

...Wait a second, they don't have it anymore! :mad:

Oh well, I guess that just leaves the Warwick. :D

• Members

I'm into inexpensive basses. I have more basses than I will admit to, but most cost me around $200; some much less; some a bit more. My most expensive was the Schecter Stilletto Custom 4 that I just had to have at GC ($450 on sale). I've been able to enjoy about every style except the Rick.

I was watching a Peavey Foundation like you're talking about on the 'bay last weekend. cant remember what it went for. (There's a nice fretless with ferrites up there now.)

Speaking of auctions I recently got a killer P-bass on ebay for $89. I can't believe how nice it looks and Sounds.

My most recent purchase is a REAL winner:love:, and at only $280 (I got it at SamAsh for $268):

416354.jpg

• Members

I'm into inexpensive basses. I have more basses than I will admit to, but most cost me around $200; some much less; some a bit more. My most expensive was the Schecter Stilletto Custom 4 that I just had to have at GC ($450 on sale). I've been able to enjoy about every
style
except the Rick.

I was watching a Peavey Foundation like you're talking about on the 'bay last weekend. cant remember what it went for. (There's a nice fretless with ferrites up there now.)

if i have anything to say about it this one will be mine :

pvfoundation.jpg

mmmmmm........

that t-20 fl i had got me hooked on these pickups. they just flat our smoke.

• Members

It's silly to put any importance on playing an instrument just because it's expensive, or it's cheap. I'll spend whatever is necessary to get exactly what I want on a tool that I use every day, often for hours on end, and will pay for it self.

Play whatever you want.

• Members

i could care less if i ever own another stringed instrument thats> 1000 bucks.

am i just crazy???

Yeah, because you just contradicted yourself. By saying you "could care less", your admitting that you actually care to some degree. Sorry, but this is a BIG pet peeve of mine. Say whatchya mean!:mad:

To answer your question, I don't care how much an instrument costs. I care about how it helps inspire me to play, play more, and not get in the way of me channeling myself during a performance.

• Members

My most recent purchase is a REAL winner:love:, and at only $280 (I got it at SamAsh for $268):

416354.jpg

I saw a used one of these at a local shop the other day for $200. I didn't plug it in, but it played great and they are gorgeous.

I would have put some $$$ down on it but I had another bass in layaway. Congrats!

Oh, and yeah-- I'm into cheap gear. Not only due to finiancial necessity but because most inexpensive brands are consistently well made these days and I couldn't justify spending $2000 when I could spend $400 and be just as happy.

• Members

a) Not at all! Long as you're getting good sound and playability, nothing else matters. It's like getting a Honda instead of a Mercedes - both will get you from point A to point B. One will be useful for spending money you don't have to buy something you don't really want to impress people you don't really like... :D

b) Dunno. You just may be! But certainly no crazier than someone who thinks he NEEDS a $3K bass.

a) am i the only musician on earth that doesn't care about pricy instruments?

b) am i just crazy???

• Members

Just a thought on this...

I recently reviewed some debate on this subject in another bass forum, revolving around the reissue "Beatle" Hofner basses vs. the cheaper Rogue, Jay Turser, etc models.:blah:

The opinions were varied, as could be expected. The Hofner Icon series basses are made in China, as are many of the clones. Possibly, as one poster put it, in the same factory. But another poster's words stuck in my brain, which pretty much summed it up for me. He said, "I do realize its a Chinese built spin-off but it does say Hofner on the headstock". The name is important to some people, and they don't mind paying extra for it.

Having recently cured myself of gear snobbery ("If it's not a Fender or Gibson, I don't want it."), it's opened up to me a whole new world of affordable guitars (I'm primarily a guitar player). I have some vintage instruments, and I have some more recent inexpensive models, but the common denominator is that they all feel comfortable to me, and suit all my needs and playing styles. Of course, there's no substitute for a REAL Rickenbacker IMHO.;)

Oh yeah, I'm pretty much a beginner bass player so I don't really need anything fancy, just something reasonably playable to practice with. After a recent bout of bass GAS I'm currently enjoying a Jay Turser violin bass grabbed from eBay, and a Rondo B-Stock SX SJB-75 Jazz bass, each under $200. These, along with my Ibanez AEB-30 acoustic/electric, should do it for me. Heck, I might not need to buy another bass for the rest of my life!:lol:

Now I just need the ultimate cheap bass amp!:D

• Members

Yeah, because you just contradicted yourself. By saying you "could care less", your admitting that you actually care to some degree. Sorry, but this is a BIG pet peeve of mine. Say whatchya mean!
:mad:

To answer your question, I don't care how much an instrument costs. I care about how it helps inspire me to play, play more, and not get in the way of me channeling myself during a performance.

:lol:

my apologies man. should have said "couldn't care less".

mr. skyy screwdriver and myself were having a little get together last night :)

in retrospect i was doing good to be coherent...........

• Members

It's silly to put any importance on playing an instrument just because it's expensive, or it's cheap. I'll spend whatever is necessary to get exactly what I want on a tool that I use every day, often for hours on end, and will pay for it self.

Play whatever you want.

i think there's something to be said for the whole mental aspect of it though. i've had instruments that i felt were too expensive to gig with for fear of damage or theft and they always end up sitting in the case in the closet.

i personally just can't gig with an instrument that costs as much as a used car and be comfortable doing so.the whole "if i damage this i'll take a 1500.00 hit on the value" thing is just too disconcerting to me.

• Members

i think there's something to be said for the whole mental aspect of it though. i've had instruments that i felt were too expensive to gig with for fear of damage or theft and they always end up sitting in the case in the closet.

i personally just can't gig with an instrument that costs as much as a used car and be comfortable doing so.the whole "if i damage this i'll take a 1500.00 hit on the value" thing is just too disconcerting to me.

My gear is insured.

Archived