Recording / engineering Bassist

fretless

• Members

When we are mixing (my drummer does all of our recording/mixing/mastering) we'll usually start with a good round mix and then add flavors to taste. There isn't a set formula we use, because every song/section is different. We will EQ different sections in certain songs though, so notes aren't too boomy.

For example, if I play an "E" on my A string, it's freaking loud! Sometimes in comparison to the surrounding notes it stands out too much. We've actually gone as far as taking a spectrum analyzer to find out the frequency and cut that...silly...I know...but it worked!

I've been looking for a frequency response chart...I.E. all of the notes on the fretboard, and what their general frequency is. I suppose that it would vary from bass to bass, but it would help us when doing these "note specific EQs" I'm thinking I'll have to make one myself, so one of these days I'll get around to it. Something like this might be able to help too. Other than just knowing it of course.

• Members

When we are mixing (my drummer does all of our recording/mixing/mastering) we'll usually start with a good round mix and then add flavors to taste. There isn't a set formula we use, because every song/section is different. We will EQ different sections in certain songs though, so notes aren't too boomy.

For example, if I play an "E" on my A string, it's freaking loud! Sometimes in comparison to the surrounding notes it stands out too much. We've actually gone as far as taking a spectrum analyzer to find out the frequency and cut that...silly...I know...but it worked!

I've been looking for a frequency response chart...I.E. all of the notes on the fretboard, and what their general frequency is. I suppose that it would vary from bass to bass, but it would help us when doing these "note specific EQs" I'm thinking I'll have to make one myself, so one of these days I'll get around to it. Something like this might be able to help too. Other than just knowing it of course.

Hey good idea , I think I have a analyzer , I'll check it out . Thanks ;)

• Members

The short answer- no.

Every situation is different. And only your ears can tell you what's right at that moment. The trickiest part of AEing is training your ears to hear what needs to be heard.

Indeed ! It all comes down to that , I have heard big $ demos that suck and Fostex 8 track demos that were pro . I am stuck at ( hearing boom and equating it to frequencies ) ex. I have cut almost everything below 50 hz and there is still mud . So yeah through trial and error I hope to improve on it's clarity it sure wont' be through experience . :lol::mad: Maybe I need to cut at 80 hz and boost at 800k :idea::freak::rolleyes:

• Members

Indeed ! It all comes down to that , I have heard big $ demos that suck and Fostex 8 track demos that were pro . I am stuck at ( hearing boom and equating it to frequencies ) ex. I have cut almost everything below 50 hz and there is still mud . So yeah through trial and error I hope to improve on it's clarity it sure wont' be through experience .
:lol::mad:
Maybe I need to cut at 80 hz and boost at 800k
:idea::freak::rolleyes:

Are you using a low cut shelving EQ? Just sweep it. You might find that you need to only cut -4db, but around 160hz, for example.

• Members

Generally speaking, I cut bass tracks with little or no EQ and wind up rolling off somewhere between 50 and 75 hz at mixdown to clean things up. My board has a

My bass seems to record pretty well, so I usually don't do anything real heroic with EQ up higher

• Members

Generally speaking, I cut bass tracks with little or no EQ and wind up rolling off somewhere between 50 and 75 hz at mixdown to clean things up. My board has a

My bass seems to record pretty well, so I usually don't do anything real heroic with EQ up higher

Most helpful ! Thank you Sir .

• Members

It sounds pretty good overall...a few minor timing issues. I think a little deep low roll off wouldn't hurt it at all. though.
:thu:

Hey Thanks , yeah those are um "accents" :lol: there just seems to be so much down there , the damn sub is shaking , gonna cut some more off then . ;)

Archived