I need an amp

kingofthestring

• Members

I just bought my first bass and now i need an amp.the only problem is i have no job right now and am seriously thinkin of trading in one of my guitar amps for a bass amp.the guitar amp is a randall rg200g3 200 watt 2x12 combo.i dont Know why i bought that amp its just too loud.anybody have any suggestions for a bass amp that is capable of gigging but isnt too loud.any help would be appreciated.

also if any body would like to trade the guitar amp for a bass i would seriously think about it.but remember the bass amp has to be giggable

• Members

While your at it, buy some periods and commas.

Seriously, I don't know what you can get for your guitar amp. But look for a bass amp around 100 watts with a DI out. Any speaker config (2x10, 12, 15) will be OK. Brands to consider include Ampeg, GK, Yorkville, Peavey, etc. And you;ll probably be forced to go used.

• Members

10's are good for mid highs, 12's are good for mid lows, and 15's are good for lows, unless you have a 5 string, then you would need an 18" and maybe 2x10 to go with it. me personally i'm bi-amping-1x10 and 1x12. bi-amping is the way to go. you control the mid-lows with the 12 and the highs and mid highs with the 10". food for thought...hope this helps:thu:

• Members

100 watts may be alright, depending on your band's stage volume. Don't worry about the audience, the PA can carry you there, either via a DI out on the amp or via a DI box between your bass and the amp. If you're in a loud band, you may need more sound to be heard on stage. Those "kick back" amps (the ones that lean back to point at your head) help with stage monitoring. If your band is loud, you may want to borrow some amps or try them out before you buy the one that can keep up. Of coure, the more power, the more $$$

• Members

10's are good for mid highs, 12's are good for mid lows, and 15's are good for lows, unless you have a 5 string, then you would need an 18" and maybe 2x10 to go with it. me personally i'm bi-amping-1x10 and 1x12. bi-amping is the way to go. you control the mid-lows with the 12 and the highs and mid highs with the 10". food for thought...hope this helps:thu:

What cabs are you using?

I get a very good low B on my Avatar B210 Neo, B410 Neo, or B212 Neo.

Sure my 2X15" cab goes a little lower and my 18" subs even lower.

But if you want to cut through the mix and be heard, you don't necessarily need a 15" or 18" cab.

• Members

unless you have a 5 string, then you would need an 18" and maybe 2x10 to go with it.

Huh? You certainly don't NEED an 18. I play 5 stringers as my main instruments and use anything from a 4X10, a 4X12, (2) 1X12's, a 1X15, or my full 4X10 + 1X15 stack. I have plenty of lows using any of those combos...and I really like my lows! I'm pretty sure the frequency response on my 4X10 goes lower or just as low as all of the other cabs...

Besides, low B...the actual note, is somewhere around 31 Hz. The human ear can hear down to 20 Hz, but most people would never really notice.

It all depends on what you want for a tone. ALl of my cabs were chosen for how they sound like. My first cab (an Ampeg SVT-15E) was bought just because I really needed to get a cab. I never use it anymore. Occasionally I'll gig it, but that's only because it's small ans pretty light. Now I've got my 1X12's instead...

Archived