KC peeps, tell me about KC

greenshag

• Members

More input required. What are your interests, reasons for coming here, etc.?

I mean, Low Tone lives here, but he's a sheep-{censored}er...

cool, I am not worried about a job, as that is why I am asking about KC. I am more interested in things to do, night life, general attitude of the city, that sort of stuff. I have been to St. Louis, but never KC.

• Members

cool, I am not worried about a job, as that is why I am asking about KC. I am more interested in things to do, night life, general attitude of the city, that sort of stuff. I have been to St. Louis, but never KC.

Ah.

Nightlife is... okay. You can find stuff going on most weekends, you just have to dig a little. We're really spread out as a city - more "compact" cities tend to have easier-to-find nightlife.

There's Westport, for walking from bar to bar; The Crossroads district, for the more artistic crowd; bigger concerts happen at the River Market; smaller ones at the Uptown; the RecordBar is one of the better music bars in town. The Plaza is fine for tourists, but I limit my own exposure.

With a little effort, you can stay pretty damn busy.

• Members

...the city smells like a stockyard...

Not so - that's all that excess oxygen we're getting that you aren't at 5200+ feet.

I can see why this would be an easy mistake.

Can't argue about the Chiefs though. Somebody save us from Carl Peterson.

• Members

Ah.

Nightlife is... okay. You can find stuff going on most weekends, you just have to dig a little. We're really spread out as a city - more "compact" cities tend to have easier-to-find nightlife.

There's Westport, for walking from bar to bar; The Crossroads district, for the more artistic crowd; bigger concerts happen at the River Market; smaller ones at the Uptown; the RecordBar is one of the better music bars in town. The Plaza is fine for tourists, but I limit my own exposure.

With a little effort, you can stay pretty damn busy.

thanks takeout, that pretty much covers what I was looking for. I am from San Diego, so I am used to a spread out city.

• Members

For BBQ, You gotta check out Oklahoma Joes. Try the Night Of The Living Sauce. Mighty good stuff.

I lived in Overland Park and Roeland Park for about a year. I liked KC. They actually had all four seasons.

I thought the downtown area was UGLY though. OKC is very nice.

• Members

I like living in KC. I've lived in Omaha, Cincinnati, and KC and prefer KC to the three of them. People who say there is nothing to do in KC are not trying to do anything. There are various bars in Westport and the Plaza area that are good places to go, but there are numerous neighborhood bars that are more fun IMO. The Royals SUCK and the Chiefs are OK. Semi-pro baseball team is OK too. There is a new arena being built (Sprint arena) that is trying to woo a NHL team. We are one of the fatest cities in the nation, so lots of places to eat.

It's an interesting city too in that it has the KS side and the MO side. Most of the money is in Johnson County (KS) and North Kansas City (MO). KS side hates MO, MO side hates KS. I grew up in KS but now live in MO side. I prefer the MO side---people are nicer, less traffic, lower taxes, etc.

KC is a true midwest city IMO. Good values, good people. Yes, it has a lot of crime (downtown area and east of the Plaza) but overall a very safe place to live. I'll live here my entire life unless I move back to the small town in southeast KS where I grew up.

• Members

Now, living in Independence---that's a DIFFERENT story!! hehehe We'll eventually move north of the river to Liberty. I do live in a nice neighborhood though---Roger Maris' old house is 4 houses down.

What is IHOP or the Denny's by the stadium? hehehe

• Members

Ah.

There's Westport, for walking from bar to bar; The Crossroads district, for the more artistic crowd; bigger concerts happen at the River Market; smaller ones at the Uptown; the RecordBar is one of the better music bars in town.

You forgot the Tomb Of The Unknown Bowler in Raytown....:mad:

• Members

I live in Blue Springs--about 20 miles east of KC. I've been here about 12 years and usually like it quite a bit. Well, except for August and September. As others have said, there really is plenty to do if you look around a bit.

We, seriously, have one of the biggest and best BBQ competitions in the country. It's the American Royal and it ROCKS!

The Plaza is kind of cool, but I'm with Takeout--only in small doses. If you're looking for a good burger, try the Westport Flea Market--1/2 lb. burgers by McGonigals (and grilled onions!), plus local beers on tap. I like the Crossroads area, too. They have a "First Fridays" celebration the first friday of each month--most of the galleries are open and have bands playing. It's cool, hip atmosphere. Downtown is getting make-over and new places are moving in before the new arena opens. We play regularly at 12 Baltimore-- in the Phillips Hotel. It's just down from the Folly Theatre and the Barny Allis Plaza. And tonight I'm playing in the Northland at Zona Rosa--a very swanky outdoor shopping area sort of like the Plaza, but north of the River. See if you can access the Pitch online. It should give you a good idea of what's going on (www.pitch.com). Anything else?

• Members

I live in Blue Springs--about 20 miles east of KC. I've been here about 12 years and usually like it quite a bit. Well, except for August and September. As others have said, there really is plenty to do if you look around a bit.

We, seriously, have one of the biggest and best BBQ competitions in the country. It's the American Royal and it ROCKS!

The Plaza is kind of cool, but I'm with Takeout--only in small doses. If you're looking for a good burger, try the Westport Flea Market--1/2 lb. burgers by McGonigals (and grilled onions!), plus local beers on tap. I like the Crossroads area, too. They have a "First Fridays" celebration the first friday of each month--most of the galleries are open and have bands playing. It's cool, hip atmosphere. Downtown is getting make-over and new places are moving in before the new arena opens. We play regularly at 12 Baltimore-- in the Phillips Hotel. It's just down from the Folly Theatre and the Barny Allis Plaza. And tonight I'm playing in the Northland at Zona Rosa--a very swanky outdoor shopping area sort of like the Plaza, but north of the River. See if you can access the Pitch online. It should give you a good idea of what's going on (
www.pitch.com
). Anything else?

you rock! thanks man.

In case anybody is interested into why I am asking, I might be going to KC sometime in the next few months for around a month. This will be all payed for by my job, so I wanted to see what there is to do. I also do have the option to move to KC as well, but I would like to see how it is first before taking that leap. Seems like a pretty cool place, and since I am a Raiders fan, I would at least have the option of being there to see NFL games. Not an option in Salt Lake without driving at least 8 hours to do so.

• Members

you rock! thanks man.

In case anybody is interested into why I am asking, I might be going to KC sometime in the next few months for around a month. This will be all payed for by my job, so I wanted to see what there is to do. I also do have the option to move to KC as well, but I would like to see how it is first before taking that leap. Seems like a pretty cool place, and since I am a Raiders fan, I would at least have the option of being there to see NFL games. Not an option in Salt Lake without driving at least 8 hours to do so.

Send me an email when you come this way with your phone #. I'll buy you a couple of cold ones. Oh, and don't forget the knife fight. ;):D

I had season tickets to the Raiders when I lived in Anaheim. :cool:

Archived