Know any great "one-note" performances?

bbl

• Members

Yeah I've listend to them a few times It seems like they just down tune to like A and drop their {censored} and walk away.

Which albums?

I have white1, black1 and flight of the behemoth and all of them have a slow pace... but they all use tend to be riff oriented and usually go in a descending scale of some sort.

One of my buddies saw a band called Growing and says they actually just downtuned, dropped their {censored} and walked away. They had a bunch of random noise generation effects onstage though, so the set had some variety. I saw them and they played a more traditional drone set. I was a little disappointed, but it was still a great show.

• Members

I'm not really into drone the only type of slowcore I like is Slude like ISIS's old stuff is probably some of my fav sludge.

"slowcore"

:D

that's two new genre categories for me today. The other was robotcore.

robotcore.

that's right,

robotcore.

robotcore

• Members

When we opened for Sabbath on the Mob Rules tour, I walked in front of Geezer's rig (on the floor, not the stage) at soundcheck, he hit a short burst and almost knocked me over ... :eek:

I think I came. :o

• Members

Andy Summers' guitar solo in "When the World is Running Down" - perfect, shows how effective a minimalist approach can be.

That piano thing in the movie "Eyes Wide Shut" - frickin' terrifying. It just tenses you right up.

I once saw Glenn Branca do a performance that had something like 12 electric guitars and a drummer. One piece was essentially just a balls out noise drone for 15 or 20 minutes. It was absolutely awesome. I was completely transfixed and didn't even realize what was happening. The piece ended abruptly and when it did I pitched forward in my seat and gasped for air - I hadn't even realized that during the piece I was holding my breath, my whole body was completely tensed, I was sweating heavily (just sitting down!), and my jaw was clenched. When it stopped with no warning, there was just this huge release as I "came up for air". Wow.......art. That was probably twenty five years ago and it's still today one of the most memorable and intense musical experiences ever.

• Members

The intro to "Runnin' With The Devil" by Michael Anthony of VH has got to be one of the more memorable one note bass riffs

edit: oh yea, and for more Floyd isn't "One Of These Days" only one note with a bunch of delay all over it multi-tracked?

'One of These Days' goes up a fourth (and back down)

'Careful With That Axe Eugene' goes up a minor third (in Eb minor!)

but 'Tomorrow Never Knows' is just C throughout!

• Members

In "The Fish" by Yes, there are umpteen bass lines going at once. One of them is a great run that ends with a distorted note that just holds till the end of the song. That is my favorite "one note".

Archived