WOT: How do you pronounce this last name: Nguyen

chubrocker

• Members

the n portion is a very small portion of win.

Nguyen is basically the Smith for Vietnamese.

Indeed, it's incredibly common. In two years at UCLA, I've had at least a dozen students with that last name, always at least one per term.

They've all said it n'Win, one syllable, almost swallowing the 'N' (I know the technical orthographical term for that but I can't remember it off hand)...

Thing is, I can almost guarantee no one in this thread can pronounce it correctly (including myself). Vietnamese is a tonal language that even children of Vietnamese immigrants don't always pronounce correctly (again, at UCLA there are a lot of such folks).

• Members

I dunno, but Vietnamese chicks can be HOT.
:love:

I used to work at a Japanese Steak House when I was in high school. The only Japanese employees were the sushi chefs, all the teppanaki Chefs were Filipino and all the waitresses were Vietnamese.

Two of the waitresses are still among the ten most beautiful women I've ever met in real life. Gorgeous women.

• CMS Author

I worked with a Vietnamese guy named Ving The Nguyen. He probably spent ten hours while I was there teaching me and the other guys the pronunciation (I hate to mispronounce a name). It was:

"Vin Dtah nWIN" The g's are so soft it's like you only think it. Like a Martini so dry you're only thinking about vermouth....

Ving's wife made the best spring rolls ever. 23 years later and I can still remember how scrumptious they were. Mmmm.....

Archived