The New Scam That's Picking Up Steam...

hawkhuff

• Members

Carbon offsets........WTF? :freak: :freak:

I keep hearing about this as a way for some to rid themselves of guilt because they are a consumer. What bilge. I've worked in the field and I can tell you I never heard of individual C offsets. It's an adaptation from industrial pollution laws now being foisted on the lemmings. What will be next, CH4 offsets? And what about the biggest greenhouse gas of all, good ol' H2O offsets ?? :confused:

This C offset is a bunch of {censored}, which incidently contains loads of carbon. So, I am doing my part. In fact, I just did my daily part of a Carbon offset and it was a big one! There was a little bit of CH4 as well (had some beers last night). :D :D

Damn, I feel good about myself.

What a hoaky scam. Best yet since bottled water and pet rocks.

• Members

What, did Limbaugh just pick this story up?

I think it's a pretty good idea. It give people who are concerned about pollution an opportunity to put their money where their mouth is. Some of the companies involved in this new market are probably thieves, but some of them are actually putting the money into smart projects that produce positive results.

The most common projects involve methane scavenging from cattle farms. I don't buy into man made global warming, but air pollution is very real.

Companies who utilize voluntary funding to work on technologies that improve air quality are fine by me.

• Members

I think it's a pretty good idea. It give people who are concerned about pollution an opportunity to put their money where their mouth is. Some of the companies involved in this new market are probably thieves, but some of them are actually putting the money into smart projects that produce positive results.

The most common projects involve methane scavenging from cattle farms. I don't buy into man made global warming, but air pollution is very real.

Companies who utilize voluntary funding to work on technologies that improve air quality are fine by me.

+1 - as long as the dough does what it's supposed to. It's strictly voluntary so no need to get in a full huff. :D

• CMS Author

Carbon offsets........WTF?
:freak:
:freak:

I keep hearing about this as a way for some to rid themselves of guilt because they are a consumer. What bilge. I've worked in the field and I can tell you I never heard of individual C offsets. It's an adaptation from industrial pollution laws now being foisted on the lemmings. What will be next, CH4 offsets? And what about the biggest greenhouse gas of all, good ol' H2O offsets ??
:confused:

This C offset is a bunch of {censored}, which incidently contains loads of carbon. So, I am doing my part. In fact, I just did my daily part of a Carbon offset and it was a big one! There was a little bit of CH4 as well (had some beers last night).
:D

Damn, I feel good about myself.

What a hoaky scam. Best yet since bottled water and pet rocks.

Do you have a specific example of such a scam? Does your paint-by-numbers kit have anything but a broad brush???

• Members

What?!?! That's it?!?! You didn't even call hawk any bad names!!!!:rolleyes:

You're slackin' off, burdi. You should take up golf.:D

• Members

Biggest scam I'm hearing of is ever since the IRS turned over it's "collections" to third parties last year, people are getting ripped out the butt from these alleged DOT guys.

Definitely watch it. I've seen some of the scam emails and docs themselves. Eerily real.

• Members

What?!?! That's it?!?! You didn't even call hawk any bad names!!!!
:rolleyes:

You're slackin' off, burdi. You should take up golf.

This is the kinder gentler HCBF, personal attacks are not tolerated, you yuppie bastard!

I golf a couple of times a year. The trouble is that I don't know anyone who golfs like I do. Most people get pissed when they play a round with me because I think it's a joke. If I get a par 4 in 5 strokes, it's cause for a victory lap around the green with the flag in hand followed by a celebratory beer.

• Members

Carbon offsets are for us rich so we don't really have to make any sacrifices like the proletariat. I for one applaud this fine idea. I rank it right up there with intentionally higher gas prices to get the riffraff off my roads. :)

• Members

This is the kinder gentler HCBF, personal attacks are not tolerated, you yuppie bastard!

I golf a couple of times a year. The trouble is that I don't know anyone who golfs like I do. Most people get pissed when they play a round with me because I think it's a joke. If I get a par 4 in 5 strokes, it's cause for a victory lap around the green with the flag in hand followed by a celebratory beer.

If you ever make it up to WI, we'll have to hook up for a round. :thu:

• Members

+1 - as long as the dough does what it's supposed to. It's strictly voluntary so no need to get in a full huff.

That's the thing. It doesn't do what it's supposed to do and it's quickly becomming mandatory. The California State Attorney General Jerry Brown, formerly known as Governor Moonbeam, has filed a suit against the City of San Bernardino. It seems the city put some expansion plans into motion without first submitting a plan on how they're going to offset the increased carbon emmisions the expansion would produce. The entire construction industry is watching this suit very closely because it could bring building projects state-wide to a screeching hault.

• CMS Author

Yeah, I find it hard to get invited back for a second round of golf. It took me a while to figure out that you weren't supposed to play the course by following the refreshment cart...

Nurse!! Nurse!!

• Members

That's the thing. It doesn't do what it's supposed to do and it's quickly becomming mandatory. The California State Attorney General Jerry Brown, formerly known as Governor Moonbeam, has filed a suit against the City of San Bernardino. It seems the city put some expansion plans into motion without first submitting a plan on how they're going to offset the increased carbon emmisions the expansion would produce. The entire construction industry is watching this suit very closely because it could bring building projects state-wide to a screeching hault.

Nonsense, it would only cause building projects who haven't done their homework to come to a screeching halt.

• Members

Also, can you cite some sort of evidence that these programs don't do what they say?

I don't have to. You need to site evidence that they do work. First you need to prove that carbon dioxide is what's causing global warming, which you haven't. Next you need to prove that carbon offsets are an effective means of reducing carbon dioxide, which you haven't. You're expecting everybody to accept the premise that man is causing global warming, which not everybody does. It has not been proven that carbon offsets will have any influence on the climate in any way shape or form nor have you proven that carbon offsets are anything other than another way for shady operators to make a buck from the great global warming scam.

• Members

That has nothing to do with Carbon offset programs.

First of all, the suit is against the County, not the City.

Second, it has absolutely nothing to do with Carbon offset programs, it has to do with potential violations of the California Environmental Quality Act. Namely, the Act requires the County to evaluate and disclose the potential impacts of the plan on climate change and air quality, which they did not do.

Third, it's Brown's job to do this, since it's his job to enforce the laws of the State, one of which is the CEQA...Him being 'governor moonbeam' has nothing to do with it...

The CEQA has been around since 1970 and it has absolutely nothing to do with Carbon Offsets (i.e., it's entirely unrelated to the topic of discussion)...

Archived