Recommend me a bass for TOOL

barneyc4

• Members

i have a peavey cirrus and it works great for tool kinda {censored}, but any exotic wood active pickup/preamp bass wood do great.

the bassist in my band got a sansamp bass driver DI or whatever its called and it immediately sounded like tool even tho he had a cheapo ibanez... crisp high end and punch to spare...

• Members

meh

lol

Anything with humbucks and mahogany body will get you sorta close. The problem with his tone is that most of it comes from the Wal preamp so something like an Alembic could potentially get you in the same ballpark as well. Rickenbackers and a stingray or sterling may be an option.

• Members

I have an array of MM Stingrays that get the job done rather well. You can most certainly afford one with $1500 too (new even). If you can find an HH model, get it, but the single H works plenty fine as well. When we play Tool songs (very rare that we play any covers) my SR4 single H is the go to bass.

Unless you get a Wal (good luck!) this is your best option to cop those tones.

Besides, Justin used to use Stingrays when he was with Peach...and he recorded 46 & 2 with a Stingray (black w/ maple fretboard I believe).

• Members

I've said this plenty of times, and I'll say it again.

If you look on youtube, there's a video of Ed Friedlander playing an anniversary series SR5 HH. When he's cycling through the pickup choices, when he hits the "both humbuckers on" setting, that's pretty spot-on for the "Wal tone." The bridge humbucker position, as many have pointed out, wll get you the "46&2 tone."

Yes, I have owned a Wal.

And a Stingray HH should be in your budget.

Make sure to use steelwound strings and remember that you've got to change them frequently.

If you prefer the earlier Tool albums, then you're looking for a Rickenbacker.

Happy hunting.

• Members

That kind of sound is not too hard to get with a Sansamp and a Jazz bass. Start with the SVT setup from the manual, then work with the Drive, Presence and Bass to get the right amount of low end to high end grind. I would run the neck pickup all out and then bring up the bridge pickup about half way.

Archived