short scale bass

RIC N BACKER

• Members

I played a Epiphone EB-0 and it felt kinda of cool.

what do you loose with the smaller bass other than a few inches?

the Fret spacing on a standard P has always been just a hair to big for my fingers, I was wondering if a short scale Jass like the SX would be a good alternative..

http://www.rondomusic.net/SJB7534ltd.html

thoughts

I really like the looks of this too.....full sized J

http://www.rondomusic.net/sjb75.html

• Moderators

what do you loose with the smaller bass other than a few inches?

As noted, with the same gauge strings, you lose some tension. :cry: You also lose some harmonic content, which is what can lead to the "muddiness" associated with some short scales; however, pickup design and placement can help alleviate that problem. :thu: You lose fitting snuggly in a lot of gig bags? :mad: You lose having the wrapped ends of your strings line up nicely in front of the tuning pegs. :p You lose/gain all sorts of cool points depending on your point of view. :rolleyes:/:love: You lose looking and being like everyone else. :cool: You lose intimidating guitar players by the super extendo scale length of your instrument. :freak:

:blah::blah:

• Members

the EB-0 I played was pretty cool for a 200 dollar bass.....

is yours a Gibson or an Epi?

any excuse to show her off ( it's a '71 or '72 gibson) :

eboampup.jpg

this one doesn't have the muddiness problem that you hear people talking about.it's nice and balanced but still has a nice solid low end.

• Members

eboampup.jpg

this one doesn't have the muddiness problem that you hear people talking about.it's nice and balanced but still has a nice solid low end.

Go be a fake Mike Watt somewhere else, please, you're stealing my air. :p Kidding, mang. She has the bite, that's for sure. :)

I've played a few short scale basses, but I'm overlarge, so my opinion may be readily discarded. I felt my hands had no where to go on a few of the ones I played, and, while I missed few notes most of the time, I felt like I was fretting in the wrong position always. The ones I played responded VERY well to any increase in plucking strength and hand placement, though. Muting felt like a breeze to me, and picking was easier. I doubt I'll look to own one anytime soon, especially with my newfound love for fat and broad necks. The shortscales I played felt dainty to me. The string spacing also felt closer on most, as well. :)

Just my two copper.

• Members

Go be a fake Mike Watt somewhere else, please, you're stealing my air.
:p
Kidding, mang. She has the bite, that's for sure.
:)

I've played a few short scale basses, but I'm overlarge, so my opinion may be readily discarded. I felt my hands had no where to go on a few of the ones I played, and, while I missed few notes most of the time, I felt like I was fretting in the wrong position always. The ones I played responded VERY well to any increase in plucking strength and hand placement, though. Muting felt like a breeze to me, and picking was easier. I doubt I'll look to own one anytime soon, especially with my newfound love for fat and broad necks. The shortscales I played felt dainty to me. The string spacing also felt closer on most, as well.
:)

Just my two copper.

haha mike watt... (turns off firehose playlist)....

seriously though.

they do take a minute to adjust to as well. i think it took a good 2 days to get comfortable with it.after that it's gravy :thu:

• Members

haha mike watt... (turns off firehose playlist)....

seriously though.

they do take a minute to adjust to as well. i think it took a good 2 days to get comfortable with it.after that it's gravy
:thu:

I'm a MW fan, myself. He picked up one of his basses just up the road in Smyrna, which, once I found out, got my attention, so I've shot him some mail talking about his stuff. :) He's a cool, but totally eccentric, cat and a monster of a player.

Yeah, but they, just like everything else, aren't for everyone. I couldn't get past the dainty feel of them. It's the same way any time I pick up a guitar.

I guess I'm used to my 15 pound Jazz. Haha. I've fell on it three or four times, and all that's happened is... the G tuning key is a bit bent. That happened when I fell up some stairs. It was still in tune, though the G was on the sharp side. I like that constitute feeling. :p

• Members

eboampup.jpg

that's cool

my first Bass was some sort of EB- I dont know if Epi was making them in the late 60's early 70's. I got mine in about 79.

all I remember is that the strings were really high and I knew nothing of truss rods at that point. so I sold it and got a 68 P bass.

I hope it was some knock off and not some collectable Gibson.....

anyways , I am going to play a few more of the SG styled Basses. but I think the SX P I have will serve well enough for a beater to the Ric

I dont know maybe a SG supreme bass :D

• Members

As noted, with the same gauge strings, you lose some tension.
:cry:
You also lose some harmonic content, which is what can lead to the "muddiness" associated with some short scales; however, pickup design and placement can help alleviate that problem.
:thu:
You lose fitting snuggly in a lot of gig bags?
:mad:
You lose having the wrapped ends of your strings line up nicely in front of the tuning pegs.
:p
You lose/gain all sorts of cool points depending on your point of view. :rolleyes:/:love: You lose looking and being like everyone else.
:cool:
You lose intimidating guitar players by the super extendo scale length of your instrument.
:freak:

:blah:
:blah:

Thread closed.

There's nothing wrong with a short scale bass if that's what you like.

• Members

i absolutely HATE short scale basses, thats why i play an ibanez btb, 35 inches of awesome! (its a 4 string)

I never knowingly saw or played one before a few days ago.

it seemed ok, I didnt spend much time on it. doesnt seem to get a positive responses so I guess it is more for little kids or the ladies.

I have been Playing my P copy and it seems fine to me.I am getting my pinky to stretch a bit further than I was able to last time I played it

• Members

My main gigging bass is now a Fender Musicmaster. I love my Cort jazz, but the older I get, the more I like the lightweight, easy playing short scale. I have to adjust the eq on my amp for the short scale, but that's about it.

• Members

My main gigging bass is now a Fender Musicmaster. I love my Cort jazz, but the older I get, the more I like the lightweight, easy playing short scale. I have to adjust the eq on my amp for the short scale, but that's about it.

I have to adjust the trebble on my amp when I switch from the Ric to a P....

if thats all the deal is with short scales then It isnt an issue.

I will probably go for a PJ special anyway best of both "fender" worlds.

I have taken a 2 year Break from Bass playing to try to learn Guitar.

that didnt fair so well. I have been a bass player since I was 14 and it is what I love. I guess I got bored after 25 years or so but I am now back with a vengence!

lol

• Members

interesting history...

" Though Watt has not had much mainstream success or visibility"

that explains why I had to ask...lol

yeah- he's kind of a "behind the scenes" bass hero guy. he has been doing alot of session work lately though. i read he played on kelly clarkson's new record to make it more "punk".

• Members

yeah- he's kind of a "behind the scenes" bass hero guy. he has been doing alot of session work lately though. i read he played on kelly clarkson's new record to make it more "punk".

The thing that astonishes me is his ability to go from complex stuff to basic five chord runs, go back to the complex junk, and then blend the two without finding it difficult, or even showing notice. :p

• Members

I have the short-scale P-bass SX and after putting on some war-surplus Reverend pickups on it, it sounds pretty darn good. I used it yesterday at band practice and got compliments on it. I think the strings I have on it are too heavy, making it a little hard to play for me, but I like it.

It's a really pretty sunburst finish. The fret edges need some filing, but otherwise I'm happy with it.

• Members

I play a Fender Mustang Re-Issue. I agree with a couple previous posts.... a little amp adjustment on the EQ. and the low end couldn't be clearer.

I also put a set of Thomastik Jazz Flats on it that I purchased from the Carol Kaye website (fantastic strings!!)

Now I have the gas for:

http://www.poweralley.com/Gretsch%20G6128B%20Thunder%20Jet%20Bass%20Guitar.htm

Archived