Rig dilemma

HORSE

• Members

In need of advice, I turn to all of you seasoned, experienced players for wisdom of the highest quality.

BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF DILEMMA:

I want to put together a rack setup to use at bigger venues but the impedances on my cabs are mismatched: An 8ohm Acme Low B-4 and a 4 ohm Acme Low B-2. I want to stick with Acme cabs, but would like a modular rig for different sized venues. Acme cabs are hard to come by in Canada, so swapping for cabs of different impedances might be difficult. Help?

FULL DESCRIPTION OF DILEMMA:

I have been attempting to create a 'does everything' rig that is small enough to transport easily and yet loud enough to work with a 3 piece rock band (and still sound good). Alas, I do not think I will be able to achieve this to my satisfaction, especially with a new (and louder) drummer becoming part of my band.

Initially, I was using my LMKII into an Avatar SB112 and I had enough volume to barely be heard on top of our old drummer (who played much quieter than the current one). The tradeoff was that the Avatar was being pushed really hard and did not sound very nice at all.

I exchanged the Avatar for an Acme Low B-2 and while I LOVE the tone from this cab, I cannot get enough volume out of it with the LMKII (the poweramp starts to clip before I get to gig-worthy volumes)

I have been looking around for solutions and I have come to realize that I need to compromise somewhere. I am considering putting together a rack to use with my Acme Low B-4 that sits unused at the moment. Am I crazy?

I'm thinking of an Ampeg SVP-CL into a QSC RMX 1450 or equivalent to give me 800 watts into the 8 ohm Low B-4. The bummer is that my Low B-2 is a 4ohm model so I can't use it with the Low B-4, nor can I get the full power from an amp using only the 8ohm Low B-4. Grrr!

What should I do? I've fallen in love with the sound of the Acmes so I don't want to get rid of them. But based on my current setup, I don't see a logical way to have an intelligently setup rig. Do I try to trade the cabs for ones with different impedances? (still Acmes though) can I do something clever to work with what I've got? HELP!

P.S. Thanks to anyone who bothered reading the whole post.

• Members

I'd find a more powerful amp than the 1450, and run it in stereo, with one Acme connected to each side. That way, you take the impedance issue out of the equation, since each side of the poweramp is independent of the other.

• Members

I'd find a more powerful amp than the 1450, and run it in stereo, with one Acme connected to each side. That way, you take the impedance issue out of the equation, since each side of the poweramp is independent of the other.

{censored}, that is a great idea. :thu:

The only problem I can see is that to afford a more powerful amp, I'd probably have to sell one of the Acmes! :mad:

• Moderators

Exactly. 1000+ watts into the B4 and 500+ watts into the B2. I use a QSC PLX 3002 into a pair of 4 ohm B2s. I have no volume issues with that setup. :)

Archived