OT: Just finished HP and the Deathly Hallows!

Funkee1

• Members

No spoilers from me. Great book! Excellent way to end the series.

It was an extremely involving story, with lots of action, and it's gonna make one hell of a movie in a couple of years.

they're gonna need to make it about 4 hours

• Members

After seeing Order of the Phoenix, I now have a hankering to read every Harry Potter book. I've read none so far.

The store where I work has some Deathly Hallows sitting out. I've seen more than a few people pick up a book, flip to the last few pages, and stand there reading it!:D

• Members

even though this is supposed to be the last book I don't think it will. Look at Sherlock Holmes. He was killed off and because of a great public outcry he was brought back. I think it will be the same for Harry Potter. At least I hope so.

Well, JK Rowling has stated that she may write an 8th book that would essentially be an encyclopedia of Hogwarts, but that would be it as far as continued Harry Potter books go.

I personally would love to see another series of stories set in the future when the next Dark Wizard rises (there were evil wizards before Voldemort, certainly there will be after), with another generation trying to stop him, possible with descendants of Harry, or maybe Harry is still around playing a role similar to Dumbledore. I don't see it actually happening, though.

• Members

I finished Thursday night. Had to read it quick, 8 million copies sold the first day = 16million lips that might start spittin out spoilers.

Good book, but like too many books, it all ends a little too neatly for my tasts. Sometimes in real life, we never get some of the answers we want. But the story was good, well done, and engaging. I have never cared much for Roslings actions scenes, just don't quite get it for me, but everyting else if great.

• Members

I just hope Cho marries me in the future.
:love:

Hey!!! I was in line first buddy boy :mad:

Oh, wait, I'm already married.... Good luck :)

I felt it was draggy, too long in the middle, and didn;t really like the ending. Too pat, to neat. I wanted more "WOW" but only got "awww..." . But I'll gladly buy an 8th book if it comes out :D

• Members

I just want to know who ended up staffing Hogwarts and how the ministry reformed. I'd like to have a compendium of the textbooks, as well.
:D

My mini-spoiler site is here for your perusal in case you don't want to read.

Otherwise the big spoiler is:

"Rocks fall; Everybody dies." (hehe) :D

• Members

Upon further review, I have one Teensy, little, niggling complaint......

Did it seem like JK Rowling worked a little too hard to include EVERYONE who was ever in one of the books?

I mean, without giving away spoilers, Didn't it seem that there was a whole lot of "....and Harry opened the door and saw tha Patil sisters and Colin Creevey" kind of stuff?

Who cares about those characters? They are mere window dressing in the stories anyway!

BTW, Colin Creevey.......dead.

.....and, since she brought everyone else back, where was Gilderoy Lockhart?????????

:D

• Members

I thought he ended up permanently stoopid at the end of his book? And yeah, the constant character references where a bit much, but just think: you knew who EACH ONE was. And can tell me where they intersected with the "big 3" at any given time in any given book. Geek :D

• Members

Well, he did...... But hell, she brought back people who were dead!

Some might argue that Lockhart was stoopid beforethe confundus charm rebounded on him!

How about something like this:

The Order of the Phoenix gathers together to discuss a plan. In walks Lockhart, who says "Can I help"

All look at him and say "NO!!!"

That's not too different than the way she brought others back...........

• Members

I finished it the day it came out so that I could avoid spoilers. Great book, great writing, great ending. I think it was almost perfect. She scrimped over the details of a few of the more important deaths, but other than that I can't complain.

• Members

I think the reason she mentions so many "bit" characters is because she is trying to emphasize the weight on Harry's shoulders. Literally everyone he ever met, even in passing, is affected by his ability to finish his task. It isn't just his Ron and Hermione that are at risk, or The Order of the Pheonix, or Hogwarts, it is everyone. And by mentioning people that Harry (and therefore us as the reader) knows, she is able to more effectively portray the sheer magnitude of what is going on.

• Members

I enjoyed it a lot, I felt the twists were well placed without being too excessive, and it was generally well written and engaging.

One thing I would say though, the epilogue was quite dissapointing. To me it read almost as if J K Rowling decided just before publishing to put an end to the series for good and knocked up a few quick "happily ever after" paragraphs to that end. Maybe it was just reading it straight after the finale of the main story, but it just seemed much less imaginative than everything else.

Otherwise, great read :thu:

Archived