How do I get my bass to sound like this?

Apendecto

• Members

I'm in a three piece live rap band. There is a drummer and a turntable/rapper in addition to my bass playing.

After listening to some old Snoop Dogg that I have clips of here (called bass fuzz 1 and 2), I really think it would be cool to be able to sound like that.

Check out the clips and tell me what I might need to have that fat, fuzzy, synty bass tone if you have any suggestions.

Thanks so much.

Here's my rig now...

P Bass w/flats-->Akai Unibass --(Uneffected BASS signal)-->Bass Amp

----------------------(one octave up "GUITAR" signal)-->Volume-->Delay-->Guitar amp

Yo.

• Members

To truly cop that Dr. Dre/Snoop Dogg sound, you have to put the bass guitar down and play keyboard bass. Moog analog synthesizers are well known for these tones.

Otherwise, a Boss SYB-3 Bass Synth will get you in the ballpark.

Yeah, I know it's all done on a synth. I was just hoping there was a really nice fuzz with a huge low end.

Yo.

• Members

I'd love to try one but I can't seem to find one. Can you get them to be subtle? I hear the low end is great.

Yo.

I've never played with one too much. They have them every once in a while at a local shop that isn't too local, so when I get there I try some weird stuff out. The talkbass effects guys love it, try doing some searches over there to find out more info...

• Members

After reading this thread I putzed around with my GT6B synth. You can nail it pretty close with a Boss synth set to saw wave.

Anyhoo, all solutions presented so far are kinda pricey just for one song. Mebbe the Ibby synth pedal can do it? I'll putz around with my Digitech BSW later.

• Members

After reading this thread I putzed around with my GT6B synth. You can nail it pretty close with a Boss synth set to saw wave.

Anyhoo, all solutions presented so far are kinda pricey just for one song. Mebbe the Ibby synth pedal can do it? I'll putz around with my Digitech BSW later.

It's not just one song or anything our band is doing. I'd just like to have that kind of sound in my arsenal.

Let me know how you like that BSW.

Yo.

• Members

Well i played with the BSW a bit. It has some good synth sounds but like most pedal synths it wants a strong signal (which translates to LOUD output) so a volume pedal after the synth is almost a requirement. Anyhoo, It can't do the gated fuzz sound because the attack adjustment doesn't go far enough. You can get there but there's this "dwub" sound between notes as the synth rises.

• Members

If i was you I'd look into the line 6 bass POD. That or maybe run a fuzz pedal into a compression pedal. Or look into some of the newer Processers, I mean if they have pedal that makes your bass sound like a mooing cow im sure there is something out there that you are looking for.

• Members

The mooing cow sound is the Holy Grail of bass effects users. I can do humping whales but not mooing cows. The quest continues.

Wow. I'm going to check out the Boss Synth Pedal and the EX synth.

Who knows...

Yo.

• Members

Get a Line6 bass pod. The grind channnel is based on a distorted SansAmp PSA-1 into an SVT in addition to a direct clean bass signal mixed in. You can put as much gravel on it as you want and it is especially impressive. Plus, it will give you just about any other sound you can come up with, all in one package, at a pretty good price too! A lot of the pros use these so give it a look.

I have a Line6 LD150 combo and it has so many toys I have to force myself to the clean channel to practice. Take my word, you'll really love Line6's stuff.:thu:

http://line6.com/products/bass/index.html?utm_source=Line6Index&utm_medium=Navigation&utm_campaign=Bass+DropDown

• Members

that clip sounds JUST like the zvex wooly mammoth with the eq, "wool," and "pinch" (which is akin to a gate) way up. it's a great pedal and retains a ton of bottom end, but it always sounds fairly aggressive (kind of synth-y at the most extreme settings). they're very expensive and very rare, but on the bright side they're rare enough that you'll probably be able to turn it around on ebay for about what you paid for it, in the event that you absolutely hate it (unlikely, if the sound in those clips is what you really want).

anecdotally: i was trying to explain the concept of bass fuzz to my girlfriend, who wasn't getting it at all, so i showed her the wooly mammoth and let her change around the knobs to get different sounds while i played. when i turned it off to let her hear the undistorted sound, she asked why i'd ever play without the mammoth. the amp i was playing through was an orange ad200 (at low volume, but still). the mammoth sounds amazing, you wouldn't regret it if you got it.

Archived