What's the dumbest bass thing you've ever done

Jim-Bass

• Members

I did the silliest thing I've ever done on my bass over the weekend...I was putting on new strings..mmm...much needed, and I was a looking forward to the fresh tones. I must have been day dreaming because I took the old D string off, went to put the new one on ...as usual, the length of the new string needed to be cut back a little ...I like 2 and a half wraps around the post , this was too long ...so I sort of measured that and cut it, wound it, tightened. all good except ...I had used the freakin' new G string!!

So now I've got it sorted, but a G string that barely wraps once around the peg ...I keep thinking it's gonna fly off, or if I snap it it will literally snap.

Annoying 'cause I was using a brand name string (ie., big $)...sometimes I use cheapos...I have boiled an old G string as back up.

Anyone done anything stupid like this?

• Members

I started with a maple neck sunburst '74 P-bass.

Defretted the neck with a screwdriver and filled the slots with plastic wood.

Replaced the ash body with a hard rock maple slab from Mighty Mite.

Replaced all the stock hardware with gold-plated/brass parts.

It looked, sounded and played like sh*t.

I was 17 at the time, but should have known better. I left it in the music room at school the last day of senior year and never went back for it.

• Members

Just did this over the weekend. I decided to try flats on my G&L SB-2 and I remembered that a friend who owns a small guitar shop said he found a new set of Fender flats that came in the case with a trade in, and he'd sell them to me for $20. I bought them and put them on and didn't think much about that they were:

.105 .090 .070 .055

Evidently .055 is way bigger than .045 because it broke the nut at the G string. After I got to looking at them they are huge compared to the old strings. Now my SB-2 is down till I get it into the shop, plus I wasted $20. :mad:

• Members

I cut a set of Elixirs off REALLY short, as you did, but it was the whole set. I was a stringing newbie.

I took the Jazz to school a couple of times. Fell on it going up some steps. Busted two ribs, and, worst of all, the bass now has a slightly bent tuning key.

I've picked the things up to play them... pretty dumb, as well. :p

• Members

When I used to have my old MIM P-bass, I had a softshell case for it that had straps that you wear like a backpack. The first day I brought it in, walked up the steps, and smacked the neck pretty damn hard on the ceiling going up the stairs.

The bass was okay, but a definite "D'oh".

• Members

I used to have a Fender Princeton Champ Guitar head, and to get a more hi- fi sound, I used to run a cable from the speaker out of the champ into the inout of my Acoustic 135 combo. Sounded good, till that powered output started burning.

• Members

So one time one of my basses was laying on the floor next to a billiards table, and if you can't guess where this one is going, someone knocked a ball off the table and it landed straight on the neck, leaving a nice big divet in one of the frets. I still haven't gotten around to fixing it, because I am a lazy ass.

Also, another time I was playing in front of several hundred people, and when some guy was in the middle of a prayer of all things, I knocked the sheet music right off the stand. Bam, right into my strings above the pickups, which luckily were not muted. That was embarrassing.

• Members

I defretted my first bass without knowing what I was doing. Chips a plenty! Then as to be even stupider I took the finnish of without knowing how... stupid, stupid, stupid.

I could've had a cool headless no worries bass, but now I have a piece of {censored}ty wood.

• Members

Grabbed the fuse on my old Peavey Minx 110 combo while it was still plugged in. Cursing ensued.

I was cleaning the Yamaha while I still had it, and I had it laying in the case on the floor. I turned around and tripped on the guitar stand that held the Daion, sending it falling face-first. The headstock hit the Yamaha right in the arm contour area, leaving a huge gouge. I'm lucky I didn't take the Daion's headstock clean off.

I eventually killed that Minx by putting a fuse with too low an amperage in it. It made a cool sound and never, ever turned on again.

I hated that amp.:D

• Members

Changed pups, tuners, and bridge on EBO without keeping originals (back then there were only "old" basses, not collector items). Left an original Ampeg Scrambler at a guitarist's house (they sell for about $1000 now).

Archived