Bass rack setup

jmseymour

• Members

Hey everyone,

I'm new around this area. I used to post on guitar.com, but now it looks like that is nothing to work with anymore.

Anyway,

I started out on guitar, switched to bass for a while, filled in as a guitarist for a while, and now I'm back to bass. Before I had a MIM P-bass and ran it through a Peavey head with 2x15" cabinent. Now I'm looking to make one killer rig.

I've already bought a Fender Deluxe Active Jazz bass, Ampeg SVT-3, and an Ampeg 8x10. When I get some more funds (actually, when I pay off this guitar center bill), I'm looking at getting a Furman power conditioner, Korg tuner, and a Shure wireless.

I think it's a pretty good setup. I've been watching a lot of bass players and this seems like a pretty common setup. Does anyone have any suggestions for a rack, pedals, cords, anything? I just want to make sure I'm getting some monster tone.

Thanks everyone.

• Members

Hey everyone,

I'm new around this area. I used to post on guitar.com, but now it looks like that is nothing to work with anymore.

Anyway,

I started out on guitar, switched to bass for a while, filled in as a guitarist for a while, and now I'm back to bass. Before I had a MIM P-bass and ran it through a Peavey head with 2x15" cabinent. Now I'm looking to make one killer rig.

I've already bought a Fender Deluxe Active Jazz bass, Ampeg SVT-3, and an Ampeg 8x10. When I get some more funds (actually, when I pay off this guitar center bill), I'm looking at getting a Furman power conditioner, Korg tuner, and a Shure wireless.

I think it's a pretty good setup. I've been watching a lot of bass players and this seems like a pretty common setup. Does anyone have any suggestions for a rack, pedals, cords, anything? I just want to make sure I'm getting some monster tone.

Thanks everyone.

Welcome.

What you have seems great. But as for more... well...

What style of music are you playing? Whudyou wanna do?

• Members

Pretty much a good rock tone. My ideal tone is that jazz tone where you turn the bass and treble up a lot, and turn back the mids. I like that click noise you can get with a jazz.

What it comes down to is "are you getting the sound that you want out of your current rig?"

If you are then you need not get any more. With what you have, you will not have a problem having a massive bass sound, in my opinion. I know there are some ampeg hatterss out ther, and I am not really a supporter too, but its hard to go wrong with Ampeg. They are solid, and ahve a great reputation for a reason. I think what you have will be able to get you what you want.

If not... I guess get a pre amp, or an eq pedal?

Monster cables are hard to go wrong with. Yeah a bit pricey, but they are good quality. There are some on here taht know of other comperable brfands that are less expensive.

As for the wireless, I have heard rumors of it robbing tone, byut I don know how legit that claim is.

Just my worthless and slow input.:thu: (don't blame me for the slowness, blame beer)

• Members

Hey everyone,

Anyway,

Thanks everyone.

Don't plug your head into the Furman, it could restrict the current to the head.

• Members

Does anyone have any suggestions for a rack, pedals, cords, anything?

By rack, I assume you literally mean the rack? I have a Gator...it works. SKB makes a nice case, as does Road Ready, Mesa Boogie, Calzone, Anvil, and many others.

Pedals: That's all particular taste. A lot of bassists don't use effects at all. I do, but what works for me might not work for you. What types of effects are you thinking of getting? I find that modulation effects work very well on bass. An overdrive/distortion is nice as well. The hard part is getting something that will work well with the frequency of the bass. Not all pedals can produce those low notes, and end up sounding like total {censored}e!

Cords: Whatever works for you, just make sure they are quality. By quality, I don't mean go buy a Van Den hul...

• Members

The Ampeg works fine. I don't want to switch to separates, only because I've already spent $900 on it already. Thanks though for the comments.

In response, I tried out some wireless units (Shure, some other no-name), and compared it to a Monster cable. BIG DIFFERENCE. The Monster cable made a world of difference.

• Members

I use a Boss GT-6B Pedalboard. It's a COSM modeling board that is loaded with digital samples of Boss's best effects for bass.

239318.jpg

If you are playing loud rock a wireless isn't going to make that much difference in you live stage tone. Also, check out the X2 digital wireless, it's not supposed to affect your tone at all.

p41914b.jpg

I use Mogami Gold Guitar Cables, George L Patch Cables, & Evidence Audio Siren Speaker Cables.

• Members

No pedalboards. I've used 'em, I've hated 'em. I didn't get the stuff at Flores - I haven't even heard of the place before. I bought it all at Guitar Center. So compression huh? What kind of compression rack/pedal should I be looking at?

• Members

Okay, compression sounds good. What is this Sansamp bass driver I've been seeing a lot in pedalboards?

A Sans Amp is basically a preamp pedal/DI. It's often referred to as an SVT in a box, because that is what it was designed to emulate.

Keep in mind, that you can get both a Sans Amp and a compressor in a rack format, if you prefer that over pedals. Off the top of my head, I'd say Sans Amp RBI/RPM and a DBX 1066 compressor...

• Members

From top to bottom:

Furman PC

Tuner

Compressor (if you go rack mount)

Amp

Generally, you want the amp on the bottom because it is the heaviest component...it makes the rack stable when you put it on top of a cabinet. If you power condition has light on it, obviously that should go on the top so you can see everything below it. The tuner and compressor are both personal preference, but if it was me, I'd have the compressor next to the amp because it will be directly connected and look much neater in the rack.

I'd post a pic of my rack, but I don't have one. I'll take one soon enough though. Basically it has:

Furman PC w/ current & voltage diplays

-Space- (for allowing my amp to breathe as it gets very hot)

Aguilar DB-359 all tube head

I might be adding the aforementioned DBX 1066 in that space one of these days, but my setup kills right now so there is no need to change it up.

The DBX 1066 that I mentioned would probably be overkill for your needs, since it's a two channel compressor...and you only have one amp! A DBX 166A would be a cheaper alternative.

Archived