OT: crooked politicians

bholder

• Members

Funny that you say this, because no recent Republican Congress or Administration has demonstrated any interest in limited government. I agree that power corrupts, though, and I think this is a perfect example of that. Republicans in the last 3 decades have attempted, and often succeeded, in gathering more and more power to themselves, and increasing government power and intrusion into the everyday lives of normal citizens. Their behavior is the absolute antithesis of what right wingers claim they want in government.

Although I don't think it goes back 3 decades, what you say is essentially true and this is the very thing that has traditional conservatives spitting mad. What the 'Governator' is doing to California caused me to vote independent for the first time in my life in the last election and if the republican party can't come up with better candidates in '08 than I've seen so far I'll {censored}ing to it again. :mad:

• Moderators
if the republican party can't come up with better candidates in '08 than I've seen so far I'll {censored}ing to it again.
:mad:

This is what has happened in Illinois, too. The democrat we have for governor is a bum, but the Republican party here is in such disarray, that he won again by default, because folks who would have voted for anybody but the democrat voted for third party candidates and not the Republican offering.

• Members

You also have to note what the democrat controlled has been up to since taking over. They managed to get the minimum wage raised, but apart from that all they've done is investigation after investigation after investigation all of which have been aimed at republicans and evil big business. I'm surprised they haven't come up with more considering the effort they've been putting into it.

Sen. Ted Stevens hasn't been convicted of anything, {censored}, he hasn't even been charged with anything yet the dems and the press already have him guilty and hanged.

• Members

Strange how all of you right wingers that were going apoplectic about that "dirty Democrat" Jefferson and his cash in the freezer trick have neglected to mention a few things like the following:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/07/30/lawmaker.raid.ap/index.html

I think all of the crooked politicos ought to be flushed, personally, regardless of party, but there's been a lot more Republicans caught on ethics violations than Democrats in the last 6 years.

I agree, thay all should be flushed. I see corruption on both sides and I don't see one party more than the other. They're both slimy.

Ever notice how new representatives and senators (both parties) go into office with altruistic intentions? Then look at what happens to them after they get out; all are millionaires and none have accountability. They don't get that money from salaries.

Also ever notice the Republicans always take the rap for being 'for the rich' and the dems are always for the working guy. What a pantload. :rolleyes:

• Members

Also ever notice the Republicans always take the rap for being 'for the rich' and the dems are always for the working guy. What a pantload.
:rolleyes:

Politics IS perception. Last I could find, the average Dem congressman was almost twice as wealthy as the average Repub. This was several years back though, no idea how it pans out now.

• Members

As for "Clinton's plan", it wasn't his, it was the republican congress that pushed it through three different times before he signed it. He tried to avoid it. And what on earth makes you say people were better on welfare than off?

I was reading an article about where many of the people were at in the aftermath. It stated that child poverty was higher, those who were off were continuing to make low wages, mothers on the welfare program were unable to find work, etc. I know that these problems will never end, but it was analyzing how they have gotten progressively worse after 10 years. I thought clinton criticized it because of how harsh it was on food stamps, and immigrants? Either way he really didnt do anything to help the welfare system like he said he would.

• Members

We can go back farther than that. The dems were in charge of congress for 40 years before the rep took control in '94.

That said, LBJ launched his 'war on poverty' in 1964. It was a huge increase in entitlements as part of the people's tax burden, for the poor. Since that time we've spent over $5 trillion. The problems still exist so what have we gained but a more dependent poor class. Oh yeah, they continue to vote dem, for those who do vote.

• Members

We can go back farther than that. The dems were in charge of congress for 40 years before the rep took control in '94.

That said, LBJ launched his 'war on poverty' in 1964. It was a huge increase in entitlements as part of the people's tax burden, for the poor. Since that time we've spent over $5 trillion. The problems still exist so what have we gained but a more dependent poor class. Oh yeah, they continue to vote dem, for those who do vote.

One of the side effects of the war on poverty was that the percentage of people under the poverty line fell for much of this nation's history until this event. It has basically stayed stable ever since.

info-poverty0608-poverty-RA.gif

• Members

Term limits on everyone in public service and every public service position would put a stop to a lot of this stuff.

I thought so, too, but Louisiana has term limits and the politicians' sons and daughters are running for the offices vacated by their parents. Weird. All in the family. Of course, no one has to vote for them, but often we vote for the lesser of two evils....

• Members

Don't worry.

It's not a uniquely American thing. Politicians are a crooked bunch everywhere. Self centred liars and, in many cases, out-and-out criminals.

Yup, we've had a fair share of crooked politicians here. Lately it turned out a young girl got citizenship after staying in the country for only 3 months, the norm being 2-3 years. It turned out after some investigation by the media that this girls mother in law was the minister of environmental affairs :mad:. And the minister actually refused any involvement :freak:, but had to resign in the end because of a huge amount of evidence.

• CMS Author

Strange how all of you right wingers that were going apoplectic about that "dirty Democrat" Jefferson and his cash in the freezer trick have neglected to mention a few things like the following:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/07/30/lawmaker.raid.ap/index.html

Would this be anything like the "left wingers" who spun the VP's office into being "not an office of the Executive Branch"?

When people discuss politics, they act like politicians.

• Members

Lug's Fix

You become a congressman through a national lotto system. You get paid 6 million dollars for 6 years service. You can't turn it down except for extreme situations. You are exempted for life after 1 term. Every bill considered starts off with the estimated cost. Throwing the dart like this, we would probably end up with better government.

• Moderators
I thought so, too, but Louisiana has term limits and the politicians' sons and daughters are running for the offices vacated by their parents. Weird. All in the family. Of course, no one has to vote for them, but often we vote for the lesser of two evils....

I could see where the well connected would be able to keep it in the family. That defeats the idea of term limits by allowing them to be crooked, since the family member isn't going to turn them in and just keep the status quo. I didn't really go far enough with my explanation. Not only should there be term limits, but after the term limits are up, 6 years must be spent in the private sector (not for a lobby group, either) before running for another office. Otherwise, these politicians are really nothing more than welfare cases living off the public.

Archived