What??? No love for the late, great Bill Walsh???

Funkee1

• Members

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2007-07-30-bill-walsh-obit_N.htm?csp=34

Bill Walsh's 'genius' changed face of football

Updated 5h 28m ago | Comments 123 | Recommend 55 E-mail | Save | Print | Reprints & Permissions |

Enlarge AP photo

Bill Walsh won three Super Bowls as coach of the San Francisco 49ers.

BILL WALSH 1931-2007

Appreciation: Walsh's 'genius' changed the face of the NFL

Walsh coaching tree: See the branches expand

Photos: Look back on Walsh's legacy as a Hall of Fame coach with the San Francisco 49ers

Commentary: Imagining what the NFL would look like if Bill Walsh had never coached

Reaction: How players, coaches are remembering Bill Walsh

Audio: Walsh a wizard at evaluating talent

CAST YOUR VOTE

OTHER VOICES FROM THE WEB

Bill Walsh 1931-2007

Posted on: Bleeding Green Nation - 14 hours ago

"Bill Walsh 1931-2007 Former 49ers Head Coach, father of the west coast offense, winner of 3 super bowls..."

Bill Walsh (1931 - 2007)

Posted on: Mile High Report - 15 hours ago

"Mike Shanahan, known in NFL circles as "The Mastermind", never actually got to coach under Bill Walsh..."

Hall of Fame Coach Bill Walsh Passes Away at 75

Posted on: NFL GridIron Gab - 15 hours ago

"He was the man behind some of the most popular teams in San Francisco 49?ers history. A soft..."

By Tom Weir, USA TODAY

Bill Walsh's passing will bring no comparisons to Vince Lombardi, Mike Ditka, George Halas or any of the other NFL coaching greats who thrived on peeling locker room paint with pure volume.

No, we'll remember Walsh in the same way we recall teachers who gave us a love for literature, history or art. We'll remember his signature sideline pose

• Members

bill walsh was the coach at stanford the year after i left. he was a brilliant coach, and a heck of a nice guy. thankfully, he leaves a legacy behind of two generations of coaches who won something like 6 superbowls between them, and his influence is largely why the NFL plays the way it does today. he will be sorely missed by any of us who were influenced by his coaching styles back in college.

• Members

Not a football fan, eh?

Me either, really. I was more concerned with the NBA ref betting fiasco. Some poop hittin' the fan, right there.

Some games I almost would believe they're fixed. Now I'm even questioning the league's fairness, and I'm a die hard fan. :(

However, KG to Boston to play with The Truth and Ray Allen is news. Boston goes to Eastern Conference champions overnight if it goes through.

• Members

Yeah, but I was hoping the Clippers would get him!

Did you know there was another NBA franchise in LA? I hear they're quite popular too......

:D

Yeah but Kobe can't share that spotlight. That's why they sign the Luke Walton's of the world! ;)

Would be nice though. Still wouldn't beat SA, Phoenix or Dallas, IMO. Maybe not even Utah. SLC is back in business in the Western Conf! :thu:

• Members

Yeah, I was reading up on him on Wiki.

And, since we're talking basketball. I'm so glad Kobe ain't coming here. We sure could have used KG, though. The Bulls would be complete with KG/Ben Wallace in the middle. SICK!!!!

• Members

Did I ever tell you I went to High School with Jim Everett, and we played YAFL together????

You went to school with lead-foot Everett? Cool. Everett was a pretty decent Q-back actually, but he couldn't scramble when the pocket fell apart to save his ass.

...and when you had an offensive line like the Rams did then the Q-back needed to scramble. Man that poor guy used to get creamed.

• Members

Yeah, I was reading up on him on Wiki.

And, since we're talking basketball. I'm so glad Kobe ain't coming here. We sure could have used KG, though. The Bulls would be complete with KG/Ben Wallace in the middle. SICK!!!!

Why? Kobe with that team around him, and then the guards learning from arguably the second best guard in recent history? Silly, but I get your point. :) I like the Bulls anyway. Nocioni and Heinrich- nice!

• Members
Did you ever call him Chris?

No, for fear of getting a table thrown on me! :D

Everett lead my senior years football team to it's first state championship! We were like the Buffalo Bills....theteam went to state every year, and got creamed by Hobbs or Clovis, or whoever.

In 1981, we finally won!!:D:D:D Actually, we had a running back named Vince Warren. We always thought HE"D be the big NFL star, not Everett. He did play on the developmental squad for 3 superbowl teams, though: Dallas, Green Bay, and Washington. # rings is 3 rings, even if you never saw the field!

• Members

Why? Kobe with that team around him, and then the guards learning from arguably the second best guard in recent history? Silly, but I get your point.
:)
I like the Bulls anyway. Nocioni and Heinrich- nice!

I think Kobe's the best player right now in the league. It's nothing against Kobe; rather it's what we would have to give up to get him. We would have had to give up two or more of our core playres; Nocioni, Deng, Gordon and Hinrich. The Bulls franchise has been working hard to get the right components to get where they are. They would have to change the entire system to work with Kobe. And, Scott Skiles would lose whatever's left on top of his head...

I've been watching these guys ever since they put on a Bulls uniform starting from '03 draft. I really wanna see these guys succeed together as a team.

Ok, I'm done hijacking this thread. :D

• Members

I think Kobe's the best player right now in the league. It's nothing against Kobe; rather it's what we would have to give up to get him. We would have had to give up two or more of our core playres; Nocioni, Deng, Gordon and Hinrich. The Bulls franchise has been working hard to get the right components to get where they are. They would have to change the entire system to work with Kobe. And, Scott Skiles would lose whatever's left on top of his head...

I've been watching these guys ever since they put on a Bulls uniform starting from '03 draft. I really wanna see these guys succeed together as a team.

Ok, I'm done hijacking this thread.
:D

Understood.

I'm in the same boat. I've been watching lots of these guys since college, and like em all (except Deng, damn Dukie! :mad:). Nocioni is arguably in my Top 5 at present. With a little bit more flair, he could easily be this gen's Laimbeer! :thu::thu:

• Moderators

The Bulls would be stupid to trade for Kobe, nor does his personality fit anything remotely to what Paxson and Skiles look for. Kobe may be great as an individual, but the last thing needed in Chicago is a drama queen. He's not remotely close to what Jordan was capable of doing, which was raising mediocre surrounding talent to new heights.

• Members

The Bulls would be stupid to trade for Kobe, nor does his personality fit anything remotely to what Paxson and Skiles look for. Kobe may be great as an individual, but the last thing needed in Chicago is a drama queen. He's not remotely close to what Jordan was capable of doing, which was raising mediocre surrounding talent to new heights.

Arguable. Luke Walton / = Scottie Pippen or Steve Kerr or Rodman in the later years.

Kobe needs the help first. As much as I love MJ, a lot gets overlooked as far as his team goes.

Archived