traveling with a bass by air

Hanky

• Members

hi guys,

this is my first time traveling with a bass (on a case) by plane. the airline says that you can travel with your guitar (in this case bass guitar), but i dont know if the case is gonna enter on the compartiments. is a stingray 5 in a music man case.

what do you think?

is posible to travel with the case by hand?

what tips or suggestions do you have?

thanks!

• Members

I'd say if you can, try and get a gig bag and carry it on with you. Last year I flew with my guitar in a gig bag. Upon boarding the plane, I nicely asked the stewardess if I could put it in the crew luggage compartment at the front of the plane. This is big enough for several hanging bags on most planes. They were co-operative.

If that compartment is full, it will have to be checked though...

• Members

I've checked min e a few times, no problems... I got some cool TSA tape all over one of my cases too! I've also flwn with an acoustic guitar checked, ajust make sure you put a 'Fragile' sticker on it, tn if they f*ck it up it's on them....

• Members

a stingray hardshell case will NOT, repeat will not, fit into the overhead compartments or in the standing upright crew cabin in the front. you can either a) get a TSA approved flight case, which will probably set you back between $100-$200 and check it, or b) put it in a gig bag and see if they'll let you store it in the front compartment (they usually will, if you ask nicely when you board) or c) put it in the gig bag and put it overhead, which fits fine, but tends to piss off everyone in the seats around you. i know this from experience. i take my spector in a gig bag when i fly because i'm too scared to risk the stingray.

Archived