Learned Some Cool EQ Stuff Last Night

Thunderbroom

• Members

courtesy of Kindness.

I was at Kindness' place last night and was asking him about the parametric (or semi- or vari-) EQ on amps. My Neopak has this for the mids. I never really know what to tweak there to get what I want. Kindness showed me where the sweet spots are with his Thunderfunk. It was really cool because now I can get what I want quickly.

120Hz - Not a place I'm likely to need to tweak...

250Hz - The sweet spot it seems for fattening up the sound...

800Hz - Need to cut through...here ya go...

2000Hz - Not a place I'm likely to need to tweak either but...

We were also talking about stage sound versus FOH and it made a lot of sense. I always wonder if I should send my DI pre or post from my amp as I've always let the sound guy choose. From now on I'm sending pre and no micing of my cab. This will allow me to tweak the sound of my rig on stage such that it sounds good there but won't effect the FOH. The point being is I can {censored} up my sound on stage (so that it sounds good to me while playing) and not effect the FOH (which my on stage tweaking may cause to sound like crap if it were sent post).

I love nights like last night.

:thu:

• Members

I tend to have a signal that is very FOH friendly. It might come from being a sound guy, but m tone is pretty much the same from FOH as what my amp is putting out, no EQ needed on my bass channel, except to adjust for the room......

• Moderators

I always send a pre signal to the board so I can adjust my sound on stage at will. I rarely need to, but I can if I want - whether it is volume or EQ or whatever.

The Thunderfunk owner's manual has some good ideas on EQ.

http://www.thunderfunk.com/downloads/Thunderfunk_Owner's_Manual.pdf

Roger Sadowsky has consistently insisted that nothing messes with the front of house sound worse than a 250 Hz bump. However, I contend that there is no quicker way to increase your stage volume without getting an incredibly bloated tone, as long as it is done within reason.

If I have a Jazz bass with too much clackity-clack, I cut around 800 Hz, but if the amp is mid shy or I'm not getting enough bite, a little bump in that same region does the trick.

My "treble" voicing is right around 2-4 kHz. Cut or boost to taste depending on bass, cab, room, etc.

• Moderators

Taking me back to my college days, ahhhh....
:)
All of us musicians would hang and talk shop.

...kinda like we're doing here all day, every day.
:D

Yes and no. The comprehension level of the conversation usually increases dramatically when done in person.

• Members

The quickest way to learn your frequency spectrum is with a 32 band graphic - you can play either noise or program material through it and go through raising one band at a time. It helps to know what's what if you need to correct monitors, your bass, whatever. :thu:

Archived