Headphone recommendations for a Korg Pandora...

georgestrings

• Members

just for practice or gig?

for me .. i think some $40-50 AKG or audio-technica headphones works out just fine
:thu:

Just for practicing/learning covers - I've got an old set of Koss Pro4AAA's that I'm using now, but they're over 20 years old - I'm figuring that something a bit newer might not be such a bad idea... A friend mention Phillips weren't too bad...

BTW, thanks for the suggestion...

- georgestrings

• Members

The Bose suck. I've heard them, not impressed.

For around $50, the Sennheiser HD212's are very nice. For $100, the HD280's sound wonderful. The Grado S60's are also a good standard for good reproduction.

I have first-hand experience with the 212's and the 280's and if you have the scratch, go with the 280's. They're very good.

Dustin

• Members

Maybe someone will know the make/model on this-----My buddy has an electronic drum set and has a pair of headphones he states are made just for drummers. I used them once while recording and my bass crystal CLEAR! No distortion, etc. from from the bottom strings that happens with my Sony and Yamaha headphones. Anyone know what these might be??

• Members

"The Grado S60's are also a good standard for good reproduction."

After looking at that, I realize that I should've specified a bit more - what I'm wanting, is a set that'll help me pick apart bass lines on cover tunes, and sound decent(bass instrument-wise) through the Pandora - not necessarily be "high fidelity" for typical musical listening...

Thanks for the input, Dustin...

- georgestrings

• Members

"The Grado S60's are also a good standard for good reproduction."

After looking at that, I realize that I should've specified a bit more - what I'm wanting, is a set that'll help me pick apart bass lines on cover tunes, and sound decent(bass instrument-wise) through the Pandora - not necessarily be "high fidelity" for typical musical listening...

Thanks for the input, Dustin...

- georgestrings

Yes, but good headphones have good bass reproduction. They will reproduce the bass clearly, but it'll still be up to your ears a little bit to pick out the parts. The 280's have good bass response, IME. Plus, they sound killer on portable audio devices. :D

Dustin

Edit: You can also go here and find any pair that mentions being "bass heavy" or good for Rap, R&B and Rock. I trust this site a lot - they'll tell you if something is crap, even if they sell and stock it.

Dustin

• Members

Maybe someone will know the make/model on this-----My buddy has an electronic drum set and has a pair of headphones he states are made just for drummers. I used them once while recording and my bass crystal CLEAR! No distortion, etc. from from the bottom strings that happens with my Sony and Yamaha headphones. Anyone know what these might be??

Beyerdynamic makes these. Usually "drummer" headphones are just very good isolating headphones. Part of having a good seal with the head is that it can help low frequencies a bit.

Dustin

• Members

I'm almost positive he has these Beyerdynamic phones. Look is VERY similar. DAMN! Didn't think they'd be that expensive. Guess I'll longer to get some. hehe

Have you used good headphones before? When people hear a good set of cans for the first time, they're often surprised just how good they sound. The sound of those Beyers may be available in cheaper cans - those are more expensive because of their isolating qualities. You may find comparable sound quality in some of Beyer's less-expensive 'phones if you don't need the isolation and/or don't want a pair quite as goofy-looking. :)

Dustin

• Members

Yes, but good headphones have good bass reproduction. They will reproduce the bass clearly, but it'll still be up to your ears a little bit to pick out the parts. The 280's have good bass response, IME. Plus, they sound killer on portable audio devices.
:D

Dustin

Edit: You can also go
here
and find any pair that mentions being "bass heavy" or good for Rap, R&B and Rock. I trust this site a lot - they'll tell you if something is crap, even if they sell and stock it.

Dustin

Thanks again, bud - I'll check that site out... You definetly touch upon my concern that bass heavy isn't necessarily bass clarity...

- georgestrings

• Members

The Grado's are low impedance headphones. They draw more current from the amplifier and run the batteries down sooner. If you plan to use an AC adaptor most of the time it won't matter, but if you want to run off batteries, go for higher impedance phones like the Sennheisers.

• Members

The Grado's are low impedance headphones. They draw more current from the amplifier and run the batteries down sooner. If you plan to use an AC adaptor most of the time it won't matter, but if you want to run off batteries, go for higher impedance phones like the Sennheisers.

Thanks for the tip...

Edit: the Grado's have the same inpedance as the Senn PX100s - 32ohms - so, that's a wash for me...

- georgestrings

• Members

What model are those, bud??? Cost???

- georgestrings

I believe they were $110 at MF.

They are light weight, very comfortable and they sound great. I use them for radio, stereo and for playing through my Tascam Bass trainer.

:thu: :thu: :thu:

• Members

Yes, but good headphones have good bass reproduction. They will reproduce the bass clearly, but it'll still be up to your ears a little bit to pick out the parts. The 280's have good bass response, IME. Plus, they sound killer on portable audio devices.
:D

Dustin

Edit: You can also go
here
and find any pair that mentions being "bass heavy" or good for Rap, R&B and Rock. I trust this site a lot - they'll tell you if something is crap, even if they sell and stock it.

Dustin

That's a great website I_wanna_les_paul.

Thanks.

Yo.

• Members

Thanks again, bud - I'll check that site out... You definetly touch upon my concern that bass heavy isn't necessarily bass clarity...

- georgestrings

That's right and the Bose phones I purchased fit the bill nicely.

They aren't bass heavy but they are crystal clear whether I am using them for music, radio or playing through my bass trainer and trying to pick up and learn bass parts.

I've used the more expensive types like the Koss and Sennheiser models and they are good phones but I especially like the Bose because they're very light in terms of weight and quite comfortable but the reproduction is excellent. If someone should steal them I wouldn't hesitate to get another pair they are that nice.

But they are like bass guitars you have to try them and judge for yourself.

• Members

That's right and the Bose phones I purchased fit the bill nicely.

They aren't bass heavy but they are crystal clear whether I am using them for music, radio or playing through my bass trainer and trying to pick up and learn bass parts.

I've used the more expensive types like the Koss and Sennheiser models and they are good phones but I especially like the Bose because they're very light in terms of weight and quite comfortable but the reproduction is excellent. If someone should steal them I wouldn't hesitate to get another pair they are that nice.

But they are like bass guitars you have to try them and judge for yourself.

Thanks for the input, Hawk - and you bring up a good point.... I really wish there was a way to A/B the prospective choices - I like the size of the PX100s, but am leaning towards the Grados for what I *think* will be a bit more clarity/accuracy...

- georgestrings

• Members

Thanks for the input, Hawk - and you bring up a good point.... I really wish there was a way to A/B the prospective choices - I like the size of the PX100s, but am leaning towards the Grados for what I *think* will be a bit more clarity/accuracy...

- georgestrings

I've done a lot of searching and the PX100's come up as the best over and over again in their price/size range. If I were looking for a light set and couldn't test, these would win, hands down.

• Members

I've done a lot of searching and the PX100's come up as the best over and over again in their price/size range. If I were looking for a light set and couldn't test, these would win, hands down.

I really like the size of the PX100s - they'd make for a nice, compact practice package, when combined with the Pandora, a personal CD player, 2 adapters, and a couple of cables... The price difference between those and the Grados isn't a big deal to me - and I'm currently pondering the size vs fidelity differences between the 2... I'm also wondering if I'll really notice much of a difference performance-wise, between either of those and the Koss Pro 4AAAs I've had all these years, and am currently employing...

- georgestrings

Archived