Decent starter package?... Help

bersly

• Members

My 12 year old son has been begging for a bass set up. Looks like I need to get him some lessons and a starter bass set up.

Are there any starter set ups that are not junk. I hate buying crap that you end up wishing you had spent just a bit more on.

Would I be better off getting him a recommended bass and then springing for a amp sepearately.

All suggestions are welcome, I am flying blind here.:confused::confused:

• Members

Squire makes a pretty decent startup package with either the P-bass or Jazz bass setup. They really aren't that bad. They include the essentials - bass, amp, cords, straps, picks, instructional video, etc. If he gets more serious about it, then you could invest more. But these basses are good startup ones.

• Members

Yeah...the Squire VM series are really good bang for the buck basses. Many guys that can afford something more expensive have still sprung for one of those...especially the fretless.

I'd grab that and a small combo amp of some sort...he'd be loving it! My advice would be to take him to the store so he can try out a few things to see what he likes. A J bass would probably be a good 1st bass, since the neck is smaller for his hands.

• Members

Would this make a good starter bass?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-70s-Jazz-Bass?sku=519639

that would make a screamingly good starter bass!

if you don't mind going used you can get some great stuff for less $$. Anyone on here would be happy to help with links to ebay etc. (think used Made in USA Peavey)

Also MTD Kingston. If you can find the passsive Kingston it has to be one of the best basses one can find in that $300ish range. Killer feel and the neck is to die for. Plus great sound

You could always go with www.rondomusic.net just don't buy one of their packs as from what I have seen the basses from those packs are not quite as nice.

• Members

Everyone seems to like this squier . Are there any other maybe a bit lighter and flashier looking basses I should look at.

Afterall this is a 13 year old.

What not flashy about that? Natural body, block inlays? It's sweet! Tell himt hat it's like Geddy Lee's bass...and then he can look at you funny! Unless he likes Rush that is...

• Members

Everyone seems to like this squier . Are there any other maybe a bit lighter and flashier looking basses I should look at.

I'm guessing you want to make sure he thinks the bass looks "cool" so he'll play it, and will enjoy showing it to friends?

Not a problem! We all wanted neat-looking guitars when we first started. To better help: what kind of music does your son listen to? Name specific bands if possible.

And, what's your limit?

• Members

The MTD Kingston that PrestiaRules suggested would possibly be a bit lighter and generally have some flashier finishes. You should check them out.

The Squier VM's are great basses but generally lean more towards a vintage look, hence the name Vintage Modified.

:)

• Members

Yeah, good to know how much dough we're talking about. Some of the Ashdown amps seem to be good values and as mentioned above a lot of folks like the new Squier VM's; maybe the Jazz with a thinner neck might be in order.

Indeed!

I'm just wondering if his son likes the more 'metal' look. Then perhaps an ESP Viper or such would be good.

• Members

Don't know how big your son is, but if he's on the small side, or even if he's not, you might consider a short scale bass. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/SX-SJB-62-Short-Guitar-Sunburst/dp/B000BY5H3K

BTW: Just my opinion, you should try to talk him into learning to play 6 string guitar first (if he doesn't already) and then transition to bass later.

It's very helpful field of background knowledge for charting songs etc.

Archived